Aligners not as good as fixed appliances?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sisi

Aligners not as good as fixed appliances?

#1 Post by sisi »

HI all

Has anyone been told by their ortho that they are a suitable candidate for Invisalign but then warned that aligners can never achieve as good a result as fixed appliances? I wonder is that true - I have come across so many positive stories on this forum.

sisi

starzz

#2 Post by starzz »

I was told I could have Invisilign but the results from fixed braces would be superior. The estimated costs and treatment times were similar. I chose fixed braces and am happy with that decision.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

swedishsmile

#3 Post by swedishsmile »

Fixed ones are more precise but of course you can still get very good results using invisalign. However, the risk of not getting the achieved result may be higher.

sisi

#4 Post by sisi »

Hi - thanks for your replies guys. I guess I am having a bit of a crisis of indecision. Ortho says I can go with Invisalign but the results will not be as good. I feel that I do not have the courage/will power to put up with fixed appliances on both jaws (my colleagues will think I am having a mid-life crisis - maybe I am :lol: ) As it is, I will be getting self-ligating braces on my lower jaw on Monday and even that is scaring the heck out of me.