Please Help! I have a migraine from this stress...

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VaniBella

Please Help! I have a migraine from this stress...

#1 Post by VaniBella »

Hi all,
Boy is my head pounding....

Well, this morning I went for my ortho consult. While I was there she told me I could get invisalign and that my teeth line up all nicely. I have one tooth that is crooked. The front one. Anyway, she goes "Wow I dont even have to explain it to you because you know everything!" I told her ive been reading about it for a while. Anyway, she had time so we did impressions today. I thought that I should be happy right now but I'm far from.

I asked about Invisalign express and she said she was going to offer that to me, well then I asked about cost. She told me it would be $4800. Yes, $4800 for EXPRESS which I thought was cheaper....then she said that that was cheap because the full would be more.
Well, I didnt even need to give my CareCredit card, because they billed my account. I feel like I did something wrong. I am so stressed out and my mom sort of flipped out (even though I'm 25) I mean, IT'S ONE TOOTH!!!

They are closed thru the weekend but I was thinking about calling on Monday and expressing my concerns. I'm unemployed by the way and this stress is not what I need. I am just worried that they'll give me problems and not be able to do anything now. Is it too late? I mean I didnt say anything at the time because I was like all excited to be doing this. Im even getting ansy about the 6 weeks...

This is something I want to do........I just feel like I was robbed.
My next appnt is June 12 (7 wks) and they said my aligners will be here and ill be ready to go. She said in 6 months I'll be happy and have a straight front tooth and it works quickly.

Thanks for listening.

PaulInc

#2 Post by PaulInc »

Call them Monday and tell them to refund it if you're unhappy and stressed. There's no reason why you'd have to pay it all when Invisalign wont even have your impressions. At the very worst you might expect to lose something like a $250 deposit, but i'd argue for that back too seen as you've not even had your molds digitized or plans made.

It cost me about £3200 for full, or probably around $5000 USD. You're seeing an orthodontist so you'll expect to pay more for that experience and anything else they can get away with. For the amount you've paid, i'd want full and guarantees of brace work for final result.

Unless you're loaded, paying $5000 for a tooth when you're unemployed is just crazy.

VaniBella

#3 Post by VaniBella »

Ugh!!! This sucks. i feel like crap!
Anyway, I think I may actually stop in the office on Monday. This way I won't get a run around over the phone.
The office is close to me, and every time I go they are never super busy so it will be fine.
:(

PaulInc

#4 Post by PaulInc »

I dont understand how you manged to pay near $5000 without knowing it?

Didn't they explain the price and payment to you?

VaniBella

#5 Post by VaniBella »

Well yes, she did say the $4800 and I did ask if that was for express. She said full would be more...it wasnt until I got home that I REALLY started to think about it. I don't even know what was included in that price.
I'm going to stop in and ask on monday. I was I could go today but they are closed.

I guess what shocked me was that the express treatment was so much. I know it varies everywhere, but everything ive read online says express is nearly half the price or around $2000. She made it sound like she was doing me some favor by taking off $300 for bleaching included or something. I dont know.

teacher61

Too much!

#6 Post by teacher61 »

I had the Express and paid $2700 (10U and 10L) and I am using an orthodontist. This includes everything even the wire retainer. I also had them put a wire retainer on the back of my top front two teeth because they had a little space between them that I was not happy with at no extra charge. He noticed a little space between the bottom teeth so he put braces on my bottom teeth that I am wearing right now at no extra charge. The first wire retainer was cutting into the top of my gums so I went last Monday and they are going to make a new retainer for me at no extra cost. Everytime I come home my husband askes me how much did that cost me and I said nothing. I am very satisfied with my orthodondist. The Express is a set price from Invisalign for everyone. It is your orthondontist that is pocketing the rest of the money that he is charging.

Wireless

#7 Post by Wireless »

VaniBella,

If you didn't sign consent forms for the treatment or a contract spelling out a payment schedule, I don't see how you could have been charged legally. In my case, I had to sign a consent form that spelled out the down payment and monthly installments afterwards. The only initial payment I made was $250 for the records exam. I'm having a full Invisalign treatment (14U/21L) that is considered complex for not much more than what you are paying. However, I'm not sure where you are located and this can have a big impact on price.

Regarding Invisalign's charges, they charge a lab fee to the orthodontist based on your case. Everything over that is "professional services" for the ortho. I don't have any idea what the lab fees are.

From what I am reading, I think it will be difficult for you to have a good relationship with your present ortho. Would you be better off to stop this deal if you haven't legally committed yourself? Also, if a credit card was charged, you may have remedies there to stop the payment or dispute the bill.

I'm glad to see your mom involved. We have two twenty-something daughters that we help out on a regular basis. When there are problems, its good to have family!!

VaniBella

#8 Post by VaniBella »

I am going there Monday to see what i can do.
The only thing i signed was a receipt for the credit card payment.
I didn't sign anything else. I didn't even see a breakdown of what charges are for what and so on.....I am going to demand it on Monday. Im sure me being there alone had something to do with them charging what they did. Mommy will come on Monday. She wont hold back, lol.

Thank Goodness my migraine is gone.

Wireless

#9 Post by Wireless »

Be sure any quotes cover full treatment including "express" treatment, any refinements, and retention afterwards. FYI, my payments were:
1) Initial consultation: None
2) Diagnostic Records: $250
3) Records Review and consent form: Down Payment (a little less than half my treatment plan)
4) Equal monthly payments for 16 months

The payment disclosure form also noted there were no interest charges. In my case, all payments were "Professional Fee".

I hope this helps you and your mom on Monday. Having an "interested third party" along with any difference of opinion is always a good thing, be it a parent or a friend.

I'm glad to know your migraine is gone!!!

John37

#10 Post by John37 »

The way it worked with me was I had a free initial consultation with the dentist, then paid $150 to get the impressions taken and sent to Invisalign. I didn't have to agree to pay the full $5600 until I saw and approved my clincheck. The $5600 was because I had a difficult case. My first set was 28 U/L aligners and my dentist said the price includes any refinements I need.

They shouldn't be charging you until they approve the clincheck and tell Invisalign to go ahead and make the aligners. So try to tell them you don't want to agree to pay until you get to see your clincheck. The clincheck can take several weeks to make after Invisalign receives your impressions. After you/they approve the clincheck it takes 2-3 weeks to make the aligners.

Wireless

#11 Post by Wireless »

It looks like Invisalign cases generally have lump sum or larger up front payments than regular cases? In my case, I had discussed general pricing prior to my records review appointment that included payment schedule, assuming regular braces. Based on my records X-rays, my ortho found a pre-existing condition he was concerned would be made worse with wire braces, so he made a substitution for Invisalign at the same price / payment schedule as initially discussed.

My treatment will involve some things not normally done with Invisalign, but reviewed by them. If it doesn't work out, I've agreed to finish with regular braces.

myhollywoodsmile

#12 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

look at http://www.realself.com/Invisalign/cost This gives prices paid by real people throughout the world and I found was very useful. Of course, price is only one factor. Are they a platinum provider or platinum elite. Do you get on with them. How many cases have they done, and how many like yours. Can they show you pictures, etc. price is only one factor.