I'm so unhappy

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pompompadom

I'm so unhappy

#1 Post by pompompadom »

Just had 11 attatchments - another 4 will be soon, they're all on my front teeth and look hideous.

Just 3 hours after having them done i've come home took them out to have something to eat and three of them have snapped off!!!!

I phoned my dentist and he said to come in next week(today is Tuesday)!

I've a horrible feeling that Invisalign won't work for me and i'll be walking around with speed humps on my teeth for no reason.

When do you know if its started to work?

bint3gra

#2 Post by bint3gra »

I'm baffled by the number fo people that have had attachments fall off. After the UV curing process, those babies are on solid!! Anyhow, after around aligner #5 will you see a noticeable diff in my opinion. Results will vary of course. Just be patient. Good luck.

pompompadom

#3 Post by pompompadom »

Thanks

Another came off eating a baked potatoe last night, good grief!!

I sat up most the night reading stories of people Invisalign hadn't worked for (which was strange because when I looked into it I only found positive - or maybe only wanted to find positive).

Fingers crossed when I see something happening it'll boost my motivation.

beebee22

#4 Post by beebee22 »

Try not to lose faith, remember that people who have a smooth ride with invisalign are much less likely to look on the interenet for help and write on message boards. I have 14 attachments and at first I did have a few come off and had to go back and get them put back on and they haven't come off since. I think removing the aligners takes some practice and care with the attachments as that is when you are likely to break them off so it may be a good thing you have till next week before they are put back on. I am on aligner 5 upper and lower and can see a difference already, my back molars have to move before my front ones can move but there is a big gap where they have moved back already.

Keep at it :-)

pompompadom

#5 Post by pompompadom »

Thanks Beebee, yeah I guess it is a good thing I'll have to wait till next week as i'll probably have destroyed them all by then, lol

I think he was in a hurry putting them on (well I told him he only had a set amount of time as I had to pick my kid up from school) so it maybe due to that. Nothing like a bit of pressure.

In the meantime I may start that soup diet i've always been on about.

John37

#6 Post by John37 »

I had a couple attachments fall off. The reattachments haven't fallen off, so I guess if they are extra careful cleaning the tooth and applying the glue then they stick better.

Wobblydeb

#7 Post by Wobblydeb »

Probably best to wait a week before going to get them re-attached. I had one come off so went to the dentist the next day. Unfortunately another then popped off so I had to go back again!

A few days to see if any more pop off is probably a good idea ;)

NB - None have come off in the 9 months since then, so second time around seems to work a treat :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

pompompadom

#8 Post by pompompadom »

They must have to be solid on the teeth to take the strain of putting and taking the aligners off.

Has anyone experienced any sensitivity at the top of the gum getting them off?

Do you think its okay to take them off from the middle? Most people are saying start at the back

Wireless

#9 Post by Wireless »

Sometimes Invisalign attachments don't do well as the UV light has to work through the plastic template. My ortho kept checking my attachments as he put them on to see if they had cured properly. He also had some problems with keeping areas dry and with a coating my dentist had put over an exposed tooth root.

I haven't had any problems with attachments coming off - I just hope the extra effort in putting them on doesn't make de-brace day harder!

When taking my aligners off, I start at the back, but sometimes have to use a second finger or thumb to pry the aligner over my attachments. I have hurt my gum putting pressure between the aligner and teeth getting them out. This all gets easier over time. At first I needed a mirror to take out my lower aligner - now I can get it out in a couple of seconds without looking.

pompompadom

#10 Post by pompompadom »

Hi there
I had my attatchements, re-attatched today.
First time I took my alligner of to eat, two came off!!!!!

I've got to wait another week now to see him. Is this going to mess everything do you think? :(

Wireless

#11 Post by Wireless »

I would feel very concerned if this happened a second time. It may be time to ask some leading questions - is this something that happens with other patients? Also, how routinely does your dentist/ortho do attachments? From my understanding, success requires having the tooth surfaces dry and clean, and also to have the UV light close and strong enough to cure the resin used. Also, my ortho coated my teeth with something to prep them before applying a very sour tasting etchant before placing the attachments. This is very much like the procedure used to bond ortho brackets.

Without attachments in place for more than a couple of weeks, I would think you would experience problems going to following trays since teeth wouldn't be lining up as they would with them in place.

So far, none of my seven attachments have budged, including the ones on the back of my front that my lowers bite into. Hope the above helps you review this matter with your ortho.

Good luck!!

pompompadom

#12 Post by pompompadom »

Thanks

I have my eyes permenantly closed when he does them but I do hear, buffing and scraping and a sour tasting thing go into my mouth (all the things you say I think).

I'm starting to get nervous now, I will ask him though if this is going to keep happening.

Wireless

#13 Post by Wireless »

I just had the experience of replacing attachments today - one had to be taken off and placed at a slightly different location. A second one popped off later after all of the adjustments. I did notice my ortho had the curing light go through two cycles for each attachment. I think this was because he was using my aligners for guides instead of the thinner template making it harder to cure the resin. I did pay attention today to see if there were extra steps performed - extra time with the light is the only one I noticed.