Rotating Canines

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kezzakattami

Rotating Canines

#1 Post by kezzakattami »

Hi guys, Im currently on tray 7 of 17U/14L and am using invisalign for overcrowding. Everything is going to plan so far, so Im more than pleased.

Both of my upper canines need rotating (one more than the other), but Ive read in more than one forum that Invisalign can be hit-and-miss when it comes to this sort of movement.

Does anyone have any experiences of this...positive or negative? Thanks
17U/14L

DrJasonKTam

#2 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Rotating canines can be one of the most difficult movements with aligners. However, they can definitely be moved with proper planning and cooperation.

The proper attachments, rate of movement, and order of movement are very important. Also, being extremely diligent in wearing the aligners full time will help ensure success.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Wobblydeb

#3 Post by Wobblydeb »

I have a high amount of rotation to achieve with one upper canine, and it is pretty much the last tooth to move. It started moving about tray 18, and should keep doing so to tray 31. The last third of my treatment is just about dedicated to moving this canine.

I am on tray 21 and the attachment is not quite fitting perfectly. My dentist anticipated this, and is planning on using elastics if required at my next appointment after tray 22. This entails cutting a hole in the tray for the attachment to poke through, then a notch on the gum edge of the adjacent incisor. The elastic is then looped from the notch to the attachment.

I'll keep you up to date as I go... :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

John37

#4 Post by John37 »

I needed both of my lower canines rotated a lot and we used elastics to help with that. They didn't move quite as much as they were supposed to with my first series of aligners (28U/28L), so they are rotating more with my refinements. The results so far have been fantastic compared to the way they were before.

One of my upper canines needed to be rotated a bit also. I had an attachment on it. It needed less movement compared to some of my other teeth, so each aligner only had to rotate it a little. I haven't had problems with it, and this gradual movement may have been part of the reason for that.

parkersg

#5 Post by parkersg »

I needed quite drastic rotation on both my upper canines, my ortho tried to convince me to get traditional braces but it was either invisalign or nothing!

anyways im nearly finished now (only 3 more trays to go) and the results have been fantastic, not perfect, but still a hell of alot better than before, in fact my ortho (whose apparently the number one supplier of invisalign where im from) said that my invisalign results were the best he'd seen! :D

the only draw back is that one of the canines has not fully rotated (and i only mean by the smallest amount) but hopefully that will be sorted out in the last few trays

ill post some before and after pics up for you once im fully finished, but i just wanted to share a positive experience with you cuz when i first got them i felt the same, all i heard was how they WOULDN'T work for rotated canines...

kezzakattami

#6 Post by kezzakattami »

Thanks for all your replies. Its good to hear some positive stories about this type of movement because often what you read is when it 'doesnt' work!

Ive already noticed a teeny bit of movement, but like many of you, most of the major movement with 2 teeth at the front (including the offending canine) is all due to happen in the last 4 trays or so.

Guess all I can do is make sure Im wearing them at least 22 hours, that way Im confident Im doing all I can to minimise the refinement process! Thanks guys :)
17U/14L

lemon tree

#7 Post by lemon tree »

hi - nice to see so many braces forum folks on here too.

i've noticed a lot of movement in terms of bringing my canines in closer to a 90 degree. not sure if I have seen much movement in terms of rotating it within the arch which is a bit concerning. i guess we'll have to see what they look like toward the end of treatment

Wobblydeb

UPDATE

#8 Post by Wobblydeb »

Update as promised!

My dentist started the elastics on tray 23 - he cut a hole out of the tray around the attachment and a notch between the two central incisors (next to the gum line) to loop the other end over. It was not uncomfortable and I managed to keep the elastic on for most of that fortnight.

There was a bit of movement, so he did the same to tray 24. This time there was more rotation (I'm finally starting to see the other side of the attachment!) but unfortunately the tooth also started to tip. It is no longer vertical - the end has moved closer to the adjoining incisor than the base.

PHOTO TO FOLLOW!

So......... we are stopping with the elastics. My dentist removed the attachment and used tray 25 to replace it. It now fits in the gap, although the tooth is slightly higher and less rotated than it should be. The plan is that now the tooth has started moving it should more readily follow the remaining trays, and we will address remaining issues in refinement.

kezzakattami

#9 Post by kezzakattami »

Hi Wobblydeb, thanks for the update! Its great to hear how others are getting on with similar tooth movements as it helps others to know what to expect.

Mine seem to be going to plan so far, although Im only on tray 10 so still 7 more to go before refinements. I had some IPR on my second incisor next to the offending canine last week. I was hoping he would take the majority of the IRP off the canine as I have these horrible looking ridges on them! However, Im told that once they have rotated to where they should be, the ridges shouldnt be so prominent. Here's hoping! x
17U/14L

Wobblydeb

#10 Post by Wobblydeb »

Piccie as promised (I was struggling with this yesterday!) If it helps other people then great :)

Hey - I just realised how good the rest of my teeth are looking from this angle :lol: