Special Occasions- How long can aligners be out at one time?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Second Time Around

Special Occasions- How long can aligners be out at one time?

#1 Post by Second Time Around »

I eat 3 times per day and have the aligners out no longer than 1 hour at a time. I only drink water with the aligners in. Every so often there is a special occasion where a longer meal is served. In these cases, I have been leaving them out maximum 1.5 hours before getting up to brush my teeth. This means that I usually miss coffee/dessert, can't enjoy after dinner drinks, etc.. Sometimes I decline invitations as I don't feel I will truy be able to enjoy the event.

I wonder if I am being too hard on myself. I would appreciate opinions/experiences as to how long the aligners can realistically be left out at one time (without jeapordizing treatment) to accomodate the odd special event.

Spooky Tooth

#2 Post by Spooky Tooth »

I've had the trays out for 3+ hours at one time for special occassions such as anniversary dinners; special here means 4 or 5 times during nine months of treatment. My ortho said give yourself a break on special occasions as long as you are disciplined the rest of the time.

Wireless

#3 Post by Wireless »

I do have my aligners out sometimes more than an hour for dinners out or special activities. I try to have mine in on the average of 21 to 22 hours a day. I do have quick meals at breakfast and lunch where I have them out less than 40 minutes. My big sacrifice is my second cup of coffee in the morning, which I have had to give up.

I don't decline invitations because of my braces. If I find I'm in an awkward position with food because of having my aligners in, I simply tell people I have plastic braces and I haven't had anyone respond poorly to this. I also bicycle and other activities where taking my aligners out is somewhat awkward when there are no facilities. I simply face away from everyone and take them out, which in my case requires both hands due to my attachments. I haven't noticed anyone really paying attention!!

Don't let this interfere with your social life!!!

myhollywoodsmile

#4 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

The longest I have ever had mine out for was 3 and a half hours this weekend and that was because I lost them. I eventually found them in my daughters bed wrapped up in the blankets, so I assume one of my children must have been playing some kind of game with them. YUCK!

After sterilising them I put them back in and they were tight, but not crazily so, and after a few hours they felt just as loose as before.

Under ordinary circumstances I do leave them out for around 2 hours for special meals etc and it doesn't seem to do much harm as I wear them very consisitently the rest of the time. I certainly don't miss dessert or coffee etc because of them- I can't, I love my food way too much for that!

gdriftr

#5 Post by gdriftr »

I leave mine out for about 4 hours on average once a week. Things seem to be going ok. I'm not saying it's alright to do what I do, just letting you know there are worse sinners than you...

Second Time Around

#6 Post by Second Time Around »

Thanks for your replies. It's great to get insights from people that are going through the same Invisalign experience. Overall I am very consistent about wearing the aligners minimum 21 hours per day. It seems like I would be able to leave them out slightly longer than I have been in order to enjoy special dinners (once a month is the frequency I'm referring to).

Rosieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#7 Post by Rosieeeeeeeeeeeeeee »

I only wear my aligners for around 14 hours a day...sometimes less and sometimes more and everything is going to plan!

:D

jnet

#8 Post by jnet »

Most days I have my aligners in for 21-22 hours, but probably once a week or so I will leave them out for 4 or 5 hours while I'm out to dinner or with friends. I left them out for 8 hours one day when I was on a float trip and forgot to put them back in before we took off. I have also left them out overnight twice when I simply forgot to put them back in before bed (I think I may have had a few too many drinks those evenings!). I am now on my last aligner, and every aligner has fit so far and my results are nearly perfect. I guess time will tell if I did any major root damage. Hopefully my teeth won't all fall out in 5 years - haha.

Wireless

#9 Post by Wireless »

I think if you are reasonably conscientious most of the time there won't be any problems. I have a resorbed tooth root prior to treatment and I have had no problems. Invisalign is supposed to be better on tooth roots than fixed braces. I seriously doubt your teeth will fall out in five years!

Best of luck to Rosieeeeeeeeeeeeeee on your treatment plan!!