Invisalign moves to ensure quality providers

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Second Time Around

#16 Post by Second Time Around »

My previous post is actually earlier in this thread where I briefly described my experience.

Basically, I started out with straight teeth and back molars that closed perfectly when I bit down. I had an overjet of the front teeth. The overjet wasn't very noticeable to others, but it was starting to bother me a bit. The Premier Provider (cosmetic dentist) I consulted with told me I was an extremely simple case since my teeth didn't have far to move (which seemed reasonable because it was a minor cosmetic conern on my part). I received 16 aligners U/L.

As treatment went on, the doctor did not appear at the 6 week check-ups and my teeth were never compared back to the Clincheck to monitor treatment progress. Gradually I started noticing my bite wasn't closing like it usually did when I bit down. I was told not to worry and that some shifting during treatment was normal. At the tray 8 checkup I asked if someone could show me the Clincheck so that I could compare my own teeth to the image. I was told I would have to come back and try to arrange that "another day". I didn't end up following up at that time; however, it shouldn't have been my responsibility.

The result was that by tray 11 (and up until today unfortunately), there are only 2 teeth that touch when I bite down, the last molar on each side of my mouth. Other than that, there is a large gap between my top teeth and my bottom teeth when I try to bite down. By the way, I still have the overjet that I started with at the beginning of treatment. Not only is it much more unattractive than the smile I started with, it is now a serious bite issue. I had never even heard the word "open bite" before I started Invisalign!

I demanded to see the dentist at tray 11. He was completely shocked that the "simple" treatment went so wrong. He couldn't explain anything about the tooth movement, what could have caused it, or how it could be fixed. It was then that I realized, the "Premier Provider" was completely relying on the computer. The dentist ordered a mid-course correction of 7 aligners. I tried to have faith they would work, however, there was no change whatsoever. It was at that point that I sought out an Elite Premier Provider orthodontist and started a brand new course of treatment.

The new provider is completely involved and provides me with a tremendous amount of information. Unfortunately, I had no basis for comparison when I started with the cosmetic dentist last May.

[size=12][/size]

Wireless

#17 Post by Wireless »

I think it is important to have agreement at the start of treatment that the dentist or ortho will see the patient at every visit and allow time to discuss progress and concerns.