Exessive Saliva!

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VaniBella

Exessive Saliva!

#1 Post by VaniBella »

Hi, I know this sounds yucky but I have read so many people saying they experience dry mouth with Invisalign, but I have been actually having the opposite happen! I feel like my mouth is accumulating MORE saliva than ever before!!!! it's annoying, every 2 seconds I'm swallowing .....anyone else?

stickytiff

#2 Post by stickytiff »

hi vanibella

yes, I'm the same - very spitty insdie the tray but dry outside. sometimes it's such a relief to take the trays out and have a big drink of water.

I am definately drinking more water throughout the day with invisalign. I never really feel very thirsty without but I have started carrying a bottle of water with me :?

myhollywoodsmile

#3 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi Vanibella,

I have read this question before although it hasn't happened to me. From what I can remember the excessive production of saliva is the body's natural way of trying to get rid of a foreign object... so I imagine that as your body gets more accustomed to the aligners it should get better.. Here's hoping anyway!

Wireless

#4 Post by Wireless »

Water is very helpful. I think the saliva problem is a common one. When I started treatment, I would take my aligners out every few hours and rinse them and my mouth with water.

While this is not as big of a problem now, I still need water when I doing presentations to keep my aligners from getting dry and uncomfortable.

Spooky Tooth

#5 Post by Spooky Tooth »

I spent the first two weeks salivating like a dog on a hot summer day. I had a sore throat from all the swallowing. But by the second set of trays things got better.

PrincessLauren

#6 Post by PrincessLauren »

Stickytiff - thats exactly how I am finding it! Am glad its not just me and fingers crossed it stops soon or I at least get used to it.

I keep swallowing or sucking on the trays which makes me look like a rabbit with buck teeth!

Rosieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Dry mouth?

#7 Post by Rosieeeeeeeeeeeeeee »

I haven't had a dry mouth or excessive saliva and find it hard to imagine how that would be!

Maybe my body is just accepting of 'foreign objects'...

aaaahahaha that doesn't sound too good!

thornhilldental

Invisalign and excessive saliva

#8 Post by thornhilldental »

Excessive saliva is also common with Invisalign users. The reason is that it is a reflex, something in your mouth (ie. food) stimulates the salivary glands to release saliva. Soon your brain will realize that the aligners are not food and the excess saliva will eventually go away.

stickytiff

#9 Post by stickytiff »

is it just me or does anyone else get spitty bubbles inside the trays? My lower tray is quite visible (I think) as my teeth are quite crooked so there is a wider expanse of plastic to be seen. I've noticed people looking at work, and I'm sure they are thinking "what's that on your teeth?" but no-one has asked yet. And if I chat to someone who does'nt stare, I think "hooray! she didn't see them" and can't wait til the treatment is over when I won't care if people stare :o) So the spitty bubbles show a bit I think, and make the tray look more opaque. I find myself sucking the bubbles out!

PrincessLauren

#10 Post by PrincessLauren »

Stickytiff - again I totally agree with you!

I keep getting told off by my fiance for making the sucking noise :-(

Although I feel like they are huge, people really haven't noticed them.
My conversation with someone at work last week:
her: sweet?
me: no thanks I cant
her: how come?
me: braces
her: your getting braces?
me: no I have braces
her: that you wear just at night?
me: nope, got them in now **pulls scary face to show braces**
her: oh yeah!

I felt a lot better after that :-)

stickytiff

#11 Post by stickytiff »

lol like your funny conversation princess lauren

i haven't told anyone at work. they think i'm detoxing because i'm only drinking water. have lost weight too as no biscuits at playtime!