How often do you see your orthodontist?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

andrea26

How often do you see your orthodontist?

#1 Post by andrea26 »

just curious, as i am a bit concerned about mine. I am on tray 8 of 21U/21L and the last time i seen my ortho was at the end of april when i was on tray 2. My next appointment is at the end of august, when i ll be on tray 11. /that means 4 months later ! / i am just a bit concerned , shouldnt he want to see me more often than that? When i started my treatment i thought i ll be seeing him every 6 weeks or so, but every 4 months just doesnt feel right to me. How often do you see yours?

kezzakattami

#2 Post by kezzakattami »

I see mine every 6 weeks, or sooner if I have any IPR planned in the meantime. My Ortho doesnt give me any more than 3 sets of aligners in one visit.

Four months sounds like a long time to me. I'd call your Ortho's office and chat through your concerns....they may see you more frequently if you request it. :)
17U/14L

Second Time Around

#3 Post by Second Time Around »

I received six aligners after my last visit so it will be 3 months between visits for me. However, I was told to phone the office if I experienced any problems with respect to the aligners fitting my teeth(or if an attachment were to break off) prior to the next appointment.

Wobblydeb

#4 Post by Wobblydeb »

The most trays I've had in one go has been 3, so 6 weeks maximum for me. Sometimes its just been a single tray because there have been issues to address.
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

John37

#5 Post by John37 »

I go to a dentist, not an orthodontist. Anyway, I have always had to go in every 4 weeks at most (except one time it was 6 weeks). So I usually got 2 sets per visit. Many visits were only with an assistant and if she saw a potential problem she could get the dentist to take a look. So I'd go in every 4 weeks and I'd see the dentist every 8 or 12 weeks (every 2nd or 3rd visit).

I was told that if there is crowding, then they only like to give 2 sets of aligners per visit and check the progress often because they sometimes need to do IPR if the teeth can move past each other. If there are spaces between teeth and the aligners are bringing the teeth together, then they can get away with giving 3 or more sets of aligners and not checking so often.

gdriftr

#6 Post by gdriftr »

I go in every 5 trays. 9 trays seems like a very long time to me, with lots of scope for things to go off course...

myhollywoodsmile

#7 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi, I go every three trays, so every six weeks. It seems about right to me as I have usually built up a good stock of questions by that point.

I must say that your gap seems long to me, but like other people have said if you request more frequent appointments they will probably accommodate you. I can understand why you would be worried, I think if it were me I would ask for them more frequently.