Smelly breath

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Neil

Smelly breath

#1 Post by Neil »

I'm approaching halfway through a year-long Invisalign treatment. Starting to see progress, and I'm over all the issues most people have in the early days (lisp, saliva, soreness etc).

However, my girlfriend says my breath often smells a bit. Nothing major, but enough that I'm conscious of it. I've never had the problem before (according to her). I fastidiously clean my teeth and braces with toothpaste several times a day, so I'm not sure what else I can do.

Any suggestions?

My girlfriend's fine about it, but I wouldn't want to breath all over friends/family knowing my breath's a bit stinky....

Wobblydeb

#2 Post by Wobblydeb »

Hmmmmmm ... odd. I found that my breath improved when I got Invisalign because I was cleaning after each drink / snack.

A few ideas:
- Is it because you have stopped swallowing as much, and are perhaps spending more time with your mouth open? (giving you something similar to morning breath)
- Are you cleaning after each drink/snack?
- Perhaps your body is reacting to the plastic in some way? Other people have had some reactions, so I guess it isn't out of the realms of possibility...

Are you using a sonic toothbrush? Definitely the best thing for cleaning both your teeth and aligners. Oooooo, and you could try putting the aligners into a sterilising solution. I pop my aligners in with a denture cleaning table a couple of times a week (not recommended, but hey). It doesn't particularly get them visually clean, but at least I know all the bugs are gone. :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Lloydy

#3 Post by Lloydy »

Hi I soak my aligners every day between meals in retainerbrite or mouthwash. I scrub them every time I put them back in after cleaning & flossing my teetch, however I notice that the aligners do smell abit stale if they have been in a while, I hope that my breath doesn't smell, my husband hasn't said anything!

beebee22

#4 Post by beebee22 »

I would guess it is because your mouth is a little dryer, just try to drink a bit more water to keep your mouth moist

Neil

#5 Post by Neil »

Thanks for the thoughts, folks. Really useful!

Will def get myself something to soak them in, for a start. I'm drinking lots of water, and clean my mouth, tongue and braces pretty well so am assuming it's not that.

I'll also be asking my dentist his thoughts too.

Cheers!

Mr Rich Uk

#6 Post by Mr Rich Uk »

I've noticed mine really smell at the moment. Think I ruined this set as I spent two days drinking with some old friends of mine, and the first night I left them in and drank a load of beer etc... by the Sunday, even though I was scrubbing them my mouth just felt awful.

I've felt quite conscious over my breath the past week, but my girlfriend tells me she can't smell anything at all. But she did go and buy me some breath spray to cheer me up.

Only had mine in for ten days now... have to say that in the first few days when you take them out to eat, it's such a weird feeling, doesn't feel like your own teeth.

britt

#7 Post by britt »

i get a bad taste in my mouth when i wake up and take them out, then my breaths not good for a while i think its just salava in them.