attachments on and first lot of IPR over

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lt81

attachments on and first lot of IPR over

#1 Post by lt81 »

Hi

I got my attachments on today. They feel a bit weird and I've not tried to take my aligner off yet, but we'll see if I can manage it in 10 minutes when dinner is ready!

Putting them on was fine, there was no discomfort at all. The aligner definitely feels tighter than the first set I had without attachments.

I also had my first lot of IPR and it was no way near as bad as I had imagined it might be. You could tell what he was doing but it didn't hurt unless he went into the gum (which he did a few times). For the benefit of anyone reading this whilst considering whether or not to get invisalign, IPR is where they shave a bit off the side of your teeth to create the space for the teeth to become straight (I assume this would only be done in cases of overcrowding). In total over the next 8 months I will have 0.3mm shaved off each tooth to make space.

To create the space he took a thin metal strip with holes in it (a bit like a mini cheesegrater - sorry, that's a terrible explanation but all I can liken it to) and he runs it between your teeth like flossing. You can feel it but it wasn't sore on the teeth. I am the worlds biggest woos when it comes to dental treatments. I am the girl that kicks her feet in the dentists chair when getting a filling or even a scale and polish! So if I say it didn't hurt, it really didn't!

Right, I think my lasagne is ready - wish me luck for getting my aligners off! :D

BraceFace2o1o

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hi,

Good luck with getting your Aligners off for the first time with attachments, I'm sure you'll be fine. Did your Ortho supply you with the little removal tool to make it easier?

I haven't started Invisalign yet but my appointment is in just over 3 weeks time, so thank you for posting this and talking about your first experience with IPR. I enjoy reading posts like this as I am new to it all.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

lt81

#3 Post by lt81 »

Day two of attachments and its getting easier to get the aligners off. I don't have a tool Chystal, but my finger nails are doing an alright job for now! Good luck for your treatment :-)

gdriftr

#4 Post by gdriftr »

The worst thing about IPR for me was the fluoride stuff the dentist put in my mouth after she'd done it. I guess it was to strengthen the remaining enamel, but it tasted absolutely disgusting.. started running down my throat.. I almost puked!