stains around attatchments

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pompompadom

stains around attatchments

#1 Post by pompompadom »

Oh my god, I've got the most horrible stains around two of my attatchments and they are on the front teeth.

I do drink white wine with them, could this be it.

I don't think my Ortho is very good with putting on attathcments, it took 3 return trips and one attachment he just gave up on.

Can you change Orthos mid-course?

kezzakattami

#2 Post by kezzakattami »

Hi, I used to get this when I drank tea with every meal. Now I only have 2 cups each day and use a toothpaste with whitening and it seems to do the trick.

I dont think it would be to do with 'how' the attachments were fixed to your teeth though. My ortho gives them a VERY light polish now and then and it does the trick with dislodging them!
17U/14L

kezzakattami

#3 Post by kezzakattami »

WithOUT that should say!
17U/14L

Wobblydeb

#4 Post by Wobblydeb »

I've got a couple of stains on attachments, but not on all of them :?

It looks to me as if the edge has stained, but not the attachment itself, so I'm wondering if perhaps it is a bit of glue which has stained? :?:

I wouldn't suggest changing orthos because he has struggled to make attachments stick - some people just seem to have more problems than others (I had a couple drop off in the first week) I would suggest that you need to chase up getting the missing one put on though....
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

beebee22

#5 Post by beebee22 »

Hi, I had the most awful staining on the glue around the edge of my attachments after they were only a couple of weeks old, my hygeinist polished it all off and recommended using a whitening toothpaste which I use all the time now. She said that the staining was due to me using listerine mouthwash and not rinsing before putting my brace back in as it was sitting on my teeth. I use a whitening mouthwash now and always have a good rinse with water before putting my brace back in. It has been a few months since then and my attachments are so much nicer looking still. Hope this helps.

Wireless

#6 Post by Wireless »

I love coffee and haven't had any problems with staining so far.

Changing orthos in mid treatment could be a problem - there's more lab fees that Invisalign charges to set up that your present ortho will need to recover. If you go with someone else, there could be additional expenses now to start again.

I do suggest checking on the missing attachment and ask specifically what it was supposed to do and what problems will result from it not being there. It could avoid possibly having a refinement later. I just had to go through a mid-course correction and this has added several months to my treatment time. This is something you want to avoid if possible.

Good luck!!

myhollywoodsmile

#7 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

HI there,
Sorry you aren't happy with your ortho. I have read about people changing when they moved to a new area but not just because they were unhappy.

I haven't had staining on my attachments but I think it is quite a common problem. Did your ortho polish the attachments after putting them on?

As wireless said, check about the missing attachment, they are normally there for a very good reason.

Good Luck

gdriftr

#8 Post by gdriftr »

My attachments are stained around the edges.. I just thought that was normal and haven't worried about it, but my teeth are pretty yellow anyway and the attachments are not on the front ones.