gel finger nails

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

h20gal

gel finger nails

#1 Post by h20gal »

I bet you're wondering why I'm posting about fake finger nails in an orthodontic forum!

Well, I booked in to get gel nails on next week for a special occassion- then it occurred to me that I may not be able to get my invisalign trays out with them on.

Or, maybe getting the trays out will make the nails fall off.

So my question is have any of you girls (or guys if you're in to that sort of thing!) had experince with invisalign and gel or acrylic nails?

Look forward to hearing from you![/b]
Started invisalign 16th July 2009. Finish March 2010. I have ten attacments: 4 upper and 6 lower.

Wobblydeb

#2 Post by Wobblydeb »

LOL.... :lol:

Unfortunately I cannot confirm the gel nails thing (never had them) but I did struggle recently when I lost a nail and cut all the others down to match. I couldn't take my aligners off any more! :shock:

I tried the trick that other people have mentioned about using a bit of tissue paper, and that worked a treat.

Perhaps you could try that, and not risk damaging your lovely nails? :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

h20gal

#3 Post by h20gal »

Het wobly deb. Thanks for the suggestion. Can I ask, What's the tissue paper trick??
Started invisalign 16th July 2009. Finish March 2010. I have ten attacments: 4 upper and 6 lower.

Wireless

#4 Post by Wireless »

I'm a guy who doesn't have any experience with gel nails. However, with my attachments, I need both thumb nails to get my lower tray out. One time I cut them too short and had a really hard time getting the tray out.

Another option could be getting a appliance hook. This has a tip shaped something like a crochet needle. In my case it works in the back, but not well on the pre-molars where my attachments are. My ortho is adding to my attachment collection at my next appointment for a mid-course correction and told me I will need an attachment hook afterwards. I have filed the hook so it is flatter and can go under my tray around the premolars. Tuesday afternoon, I get to see how this works!! (This may be my big chance to loose some weight!!)

Wobblydeb

#5 Post by Wobblydeb »

Get a square of paper tissue and use it to grip your aligners (both sides of one of your molars) between finger and thumb to remove the aligner.

Worked a treat, but I was relieved when my finger nails grew back and I could just hoik them out again :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

h20gal

#6 Post by h20gal »

thanks for the great tips girls and guys

andrea26

#7 Post by andrea26 »

i am going to a wedding next month and also planning to have gel nails so good to know there shouldnt be any problems getting the aligners of. Hopefully!

h20gal

#8 Post by h20gal »

Hi Andrea

At the suggestion of my manicurist I ended up getting gel overlays, rather than tips. This is where they put the gel over your own nails instead of putting a 'fake nail' extension on. They are short, but shiny, stong - and i can get my aligners out!

She was right, now I can get my aligners out without stressing about wripping the tips off

beebee22

#9 Post by beebee22 »

I have acrylic tips and they actually make getting the aligners out easier as they are stronger then your own fingernails. I use the paper towel trick all the time as don't have very good natural nails so this is the only time I have been able to get the braces out without paper towel, I have loads of attachments at the back so they are a bit fiddly to get out

myhollywoodsmile

#10 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi there,
Definitely use a paper towel rather than tissue paper. Tissue paper breaks up in your mouth and ends up being quite unpleasant! Paper towel works a treat though.