Invisalign diet

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lt81

Invisalign diet

#1 Post by lt81 »

Hiya

I am on week 8 of the invisalign diet and have lost 8lbs so far! I'm eating my normal meals so think it is all down to not snacking. 1lb a week, not bad going really. If this keeps up I will be absolutely delighted! That would take me back to the weight I was when I got married 5 years ago. :D

Anyone else lost weight whilst doing invisalign? If so, has the weight loss been consistent or did it sto after a few months?

kezzakattami

#2 Post by kezzakattami »

I found I lost about 6lbs within the first 6 weeks or so. Ive stayed the same weight now and havent kept losing which is good.

Mine was down to not snacking too - then at mealtimes I just wasnt hungry enough to eat more than my normal meal. I think my stomach has shrunk!!!!!
17U/14L

Second Time Around

#3 Post by Second Time Around »

Hello,
Before starting Invisalign, I used to eat 5 to 6 small meals (or snacks) per day. When I first got Invisalign, I ate the same small meals I was used to (except it was only 3 times per day) and my weight plunged six pounds in about 3 weeks!

In my case, the weight loss put me into the underweight category so I had to devise meal sizes that would keep my weight stable. I ended up adding a snack or dessert to each of my 3 meals. However, I would agree that if you watch calories with each meal, it is definitely easier to lose weight during Invisalign treatment given the general inability to snack and the fact that one is generally consuming more water than usual.

Bellalalala

#4 Post by Bellalalala »

I used to munch on raw veggies all day long.
Now that I can't, I definitely feel hungrier all the time, even though I'm eating more than enough.
Boo, I hate my invisalign diet.

beebee22

#5 Post by beebee22 »

I have lost 2 stone since I started my invisalign 6 months ago, I am trying to lose weight anyway but in the 9 months before invisalign I only manaaged to lose 1 stone so the difference shows, it is definitely the inability to just pick up food and put it in your mouth without thinking about it. I now think about if it is worth the effort of taking the brace out and it usually isn't so I didn't really want to eat it that badly in the first place.

andrea26

#6 Post by andrea26 »

i have lost a little bit of weight even though i dont need to. I used to snack quite a lot before invisalign and now i am not snacking at all. I just have 3 meals a day and occasionally have a quick snack with my coffee in the afternoon. I really miss not be able to have a packet of crisps whenever i feel like it. This is the only negative thing about invisalign for me ,but otherwise i am very satisfied.
started invisalign 23rd March 2009
finished invisalign 3 June 2010

Omshi

Not losing weight

#7 Post by Omshi »

Hi,
I actually don't want to lose weight.
Is there anyone who kept his six meals a day with Invisalign?
Is taking them out six times a day can hurt the treatment?

johnnyk

#8 Post by johnnyk »

I'm a 28/M and I actually have been putting on weight with invisalign... so go figure.

I think its because I now eat bigger meals to keep me fuller for longer. 8)

myhollywoodsmile

#9 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Yep, I've gained weight too. I just brush my teeth lots of times a day and still snack. oops

RetroPants17

Invisalign Diet

#10 Post by RetroPants17 »

I have just started, but based on the fact that my mouth gets so sore if I clean my teeth more than 4 times a day I feel that loosing weight is definately going to be a side affect.

In fact I had no breakfast and I am hungry now.........only 3 hrs to go to lunch :(

Still I could do with loosing some weight for my holiday :wink:

sammywantstraightteeth

#11 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

Week 1 weight loss: 3lbs (but I did put on 3lbs the week before when I was on holiday!)
Week 2 weight loss: 1lb

I'd like to lose about a stone, so if this keeps up at 1lb a week for a few weeks that would be awesome.

This is with practically no exercise to speak of, just the change in eating habits and no more spontaneous birthday cake at work.

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

pompompadom

I've gained weight

#12 Post by pompompadom »

I've gained weight as after a meal I get my pudding in, a bar of chocolate, gloss of wine.......

I'm now a bingeater lol

sammywantstraightteeth

#13 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I'm trying to only eat what I would have planned to eat before - just in 3 sittings instead of 5!

Hunger is a definite issue, but I am slowly getting used to going longer between eating.

sammywantstraightteeth

Weight loss update

#14 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

Week 1 loss: 3lb
Week 2 loss: 1lb
Week 3 loss: 1lb

I am 1lb away from the 1 year weight target I set myself on January 1st. At this rate I need a new target for the second half of the year!

In the last 3 weeks, things I can think of that I would have eaten, if my teeth were not contained in their plastic prison:

5-6 cups of tea a day (never underestimate the calorie content of milk!)
Freshly baked scone with cream and jam
cappucino
Milk and 1 or 2 cookies before bed practically every night
A colleague had sweets to give out from a holiday. I had 2 with my lunch, I would have had many many more otherwise.
Chocolate muffin

Wireless

#15 Post by Wireless »

This is becoming more of a challenge as I'm approaching two years in aligners. This becomes a lifestyle after a while - I really miss sipping coffee at my desk when I'm working and also during meetings when everyone else is having snacks along with coffee while I'm sipping water. I'm looking forward to a really big binge when I get off my 22 x 7 schedule!!

Frequently, I find myself getting unmotivated and finding things to do after meals and snacks to delay brushing my teeth and putting my aligners back. I'm finding I need a break every now and then as things continue. Hopefully, I'll finish with aligners and temporary retainers in about six months.

I guess Invisalign also reminds of having retainers as a teen. "Back then" we typically had to wear retainers full time (22 hrs per day) for 2 years followed by 2 years at night. Retainers were dreaded more than braces, which back then were metal bands on all teeth. After the final two years at night, it was thought adult teeth would never move again, which is why there are so many of us back for tune up!!