Have faith, but need encouragement...

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SteveL

Have faith, but need encouragement...

#1 Post by SteveL »

Hey everyone, first time poster here. Created an account to share my own Invisalign experience. I started back on Saturday, August 8, 2009 so I'm right around 10 weeks into it (2 and a half months). I'm at the end of tray 5 of 16.

I heard somewhere Invisalign corrects the back row first, and the front teeth later. I feel my crossbite has definitely moved and on its way to correcting itself, however, my front tooth looks much the same as it did 10 weeks ago. There is a big enough gap where I can slide an entire toothpick through it. I'm a bit discouraged, because I read one testimony where Invisalign started moving after 6-8 weeks. I'm already on week 10 and see/feel no difference with my front tooth. It makes my smile look very awkward and it's affected my confidence in general. The sooner Invisalign corrects this front tooth, the better.

I do have faith it will move into correct position, but I need some encouragement from people who have successfully completed treatment. I mean, new trays are a bit tough to put in and take out the first time, but only for about 24-48 hours. After that, the 12 other days (I wear them 2 weeks at a time, 20-22 hours per day; try to average 300 hours as recommended) I feel NO pressure from the trays!

How can teeth move if there is ZERO pressure? Are you suppose to feel zero pressure from the trays after two days? That's how it is for me. I guess because my front tooth hasn't moved yet after 10 weeks, and the fact that I feel zero pressure from the trays, part of me is starting to wonder how effective Invisalign is and will be. Surely this is not a con?

I will see my dentist in a few weeks for the first time since late August. I plan to ask him whether I'm on track or not, and how come I feel zero pressure from the trays past day number two. Is this normal? And again, how do Invisalign work if you feel no pressure? It's almost like they are just slip-on's past day two. Am I suffering from having to change my eating patterns in vain?? Or will the positive teeth changes soon be forthcoming?

I have faith, but I need a little encouragement...

Can someone share their testimony, thoughts, stories? Perhaps you can put my anxieties at ease? Thanks in advance.

kezzakattami

#2 Post by kezzakattami »

Hi, rest assured, I'm sure Invisalign is doing its job and you are just realising how easy it can be for some wearers!

For me, (17 upper, 14 lower) I didnt notice any visible changes to my front teeth until tray 9 which was very frustrating too! I thought my teeth would never move in enough time to be done in 17 trays! But they are - I'm on tray 17 now and thrilled with the results so far.

All of my initial movement was also at the back, making room for my front teeth to move.

I would suggest you ask your Ortho for a copy of the clin-check, you can then see when to expect the movement in your front teeth.

The zero pressure may be that your teeth are adapting well to the movement. If you were getting 'no' pressure at all, then you would have reason for concern.

If you would like some pics of my teeth at trays 3, 9 and now at 17, message me and i will email them to you if it helps (I'm not sure how to post them on here!)
17U/14L

andrea26

#3 Post by andrea26 »

I am on tray 15/22U&L and my main issue have always been my front teeth. However, so far into the treatment and they have still only moved very little. My ortho said they will be the last ones to move and I know they are going to move because I can see it on my clincheck. It is quite frustrating but I know its going to be worth it.
Dont worry about feeling no pressure at all, I think it's the same with everyone. I also feel no pressure after 2 days of a new set .
That is what I love about invisalign. I know it's moving my teeth and it's all without any pain or pressure
:D
I guess you just have to be very patient. Anyway, good luck with your treatment !
started invisalign 23rd March 2009
finished invisalign 3 June 2010

smilesunset

#4 Post by smilesunset »

I was on aligner 20 of 33 before I or anyone else noticed a significant change in my front teeth. I could feel my back teeth moving and I could see that they were at less of an inward angle, but that darned overlapping front tooth just wouldn't budge! Then on aligner 20 things started to change. I'm on 26 now and I'm still not quite there with the front teeth, but people at work who never, ever comment about my appearance have said: hey, your teeth look much straighter... which is so great to hear.

If you're interested, here are some pictures I posted on a thread about a month ago, showing my teeth before Invisalign and after 7 months (around aligner 23 I think; I'm on a 10 day aligner cycle.)

viewtopic.php?t=32511&view=next

So hang in there! It gets much, much better. Good luck!

SteveL

#5 Post by SteveL »

Thanks! Very encouraging posts (and pictures). Yes, I'll hang in there. Patience is a virtue :)

SteveL

#6 Post by SteveL »

Thanks! Very encouraging posts (and pictures). Yes, I'll hang in there. Patience is a virtue :)

Northun Munkeygirl

#7 Post by Northun Munkeygirl »

i am so glad you posted this. I'm on tray 5 and like yourself am only feeling mild discomfort for the fist few hours.

thanks everyone for your encouragement :)

SteveL

#8 Post by SteveL »

Northun Munkeygirl wrote:i am so glad you posted this. I'm on tray 5 and like yourself am only feeling mild discomfort for the fist few hours.

thanks everyone for your encouragement :)

I just slipped on tray 6 for the first time ever, and wow, I only felt mild discomfort for about 15, 20 minutes. I plan to keep them in 15 solid hours before I have to take them out for the 1st time. I'm very encouraged knowing with a couple more months I'll start to see some movement and improvement. :)

myhollywoodsmile

#9 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi there,
I have a blog, (the link is below) where you can see that there were only tiny tiny changes at first. These days though (aligner 21 of 34!) my teeth are looking way, way better. It definitely works. Honestly. Keep the faith. Also, you really can't compare with other people as different tooth movements require teeth to move in a different order. Some people see masses of movement on set 5 others see nothing as their teeth are just widening a little.
Be compliant with your wear and it will happen. As long as your teeth are tracking fine with your aligners (i.e. they fit right) you will be fine. Have you compared your teeth to your clincheck so you can see what movement is supposed to be happening now? That always gave me comfort in the early days.
Good luck, you'll get there!