New Aligner User

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lainy651

New Aligner User

#1 Post by lainy651 »

I got my first set of aligners on Saturday (17.10.09), all the attachments fitted (4 top, 3 bottom) and some filing done aswell. I've had trouble getting them in and out (especially out) but starting to master it now. (Monday).

When I got back from the Ortho I tried to get them out to eat my lunch and one of the attachments from the top came off, then again for my tea and another came off. Can't get them put back on until Friday !!

They are starting to be a little bit more comfortable now but there is a gap between the back of the aligner and the back of my bottom teeth and I can't seem to keep my tongue away from it. The underneith of my tongue seems to rub on this a little too. Is this normal?? The top ones seem to be a bit more flush. I have noticed that my bottom lips are really dry and cracked. Don't know why that is !!

My gums have been aching all weekend too. Does this happen with every new aligner ?

I know I sound like a moaner, but am pleased that I started and would still go for it again knowing what I know now.

kimnim1

#2 Post by kimnim1 »

Hi, I started my second trays last Thursday and they have been much better than the first. The front of my bottom tray on my first set were cutting my lip/gum area so bad that i was relying on anbesol way too much. I finally went in to my ortho after a painful weekend trip and she filed it down for me. Then I switched to tray 2 and filed it a little myself. I haven't had any problems since. I do not have attachments yet (getting those with my 3rd tray) so I am not sure what to tell you about those. I heard it is much harder to get the trays on and off once those are on. I'm glad my ortho let me get used to them some before putting the attachments on. my biggest problems the first week or two were lisping, crazy dry mouth, and the chapped lips. talking slower and keeping a water bottle and chapstick with me seems to be helping. Your tongue should get used to having something there soon.

KUMonkeyMomma

#3 Post by KUMonkeyMomma »

I posted in the other thread too - but will again here.

I use chapstick (lip balm) all the time now - mine are dry and cracked too - from all the brushing and I tend to lick my lips more with the aligners in - it really helps!!

I had to have my first set filed a bit to get sharper edges off, etc - with my 2nd and 3rd trays I just did it myself with an emery board/nail file on the finer side. My tongue rubbed the bottom aligner something awful with the first tray but not much since. Also had issues with the top cutting into my cheeks/lips too. I think there is some "break in time" when you first start wearing them. I have a slight amount of time when I put a new aligner in that it takes some getting used to (a day maybe at most) because it isn't exactly the same shape as the last that my mouth was used to but no major tongue rubbing or irritation, etc.

I'm surprised they put the attachments on with the first trays - most don't until at least a couple trays in to get your mouth used to them and get you used to taking them in and out without the attachments to make it even harder. I just got my attachments at week 6 last week.

Good luck!!
Donna
Started treatment 9/2/09
Treatment finished 4/27/11

myhollywoodsmile

#4 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi there,
One thing my orthodontist told me is that Invisalign should cause pressure on your teeth but you should NEVER be in pain. I am on set 21 of my aligners now and have learnt that if there is any area that is rubbing there is something wrong. Aligners shouldn't rub and it usually just means that there is a small bit that needs filing. Just file gently with a soft nail file and you shouldn't do any damage. Honestly, the relief is almost instantaneous once you get rid of the right bit. I have had lots of little tiny bits of plastic hanging off here and there and I just file them off. If you have one area that always rubs on each set it could be the way the moulds were made. Just ask your ortho to file it for you.

Honestly, you shouldn't need waxes or anything as long as the aligners are fitting right. Those tiny little hang nails of plastic are just caused by the invisalign robots not doing their job perfectly. Once you get rid of them and any sharp edges it is so much better.

lainy651

#5 Post by lainy651 »

Aaaarrr Thanks Everyone. This really helps. Didn't realise you could actually file them yourself !! Might have a go later.

So glad that I found this site. Reading everyone else's experiences and sharing your own really helps, and the fact that you are getting advice from people who have actually been through it themselves is great. :)