does wearing invisalign cause wrinkles?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sandycakes

does wearing invisalign cause wrinkles?

#1 Post by sandycakes »

:?: I'm only on day 5 of wearing Invisalign and was wondering if anyone has noticed that they developed wrinkle lines around their mouth from wearing their aligners? Mine feel bulky so it's making me paranoid that I will have straighter teeth once I'm finished, but will also have wrinkles that I didn't have before. Thanks!

John37

#2 Post by John37 »

There have been other threads on here about braces or Invisalign changing the appearance of one's face. I believe they can change the appearance slightly which may be noticeable to other people.

On the other hand, you may just be spending more time looking at your teeth, mouth and face, so now you are noticing wrinkles that you didn't notice before.

april0100

#3 Post by april0100 »

I worried about this too when I first started wearing my aligners. I had to contort my mouth so much to get them in and out I felt like I was giving myself smile lines. Now that I'm going on my 5th set of trays though I am much more adept at getting them in and out and I don't feel like I'm stretching my mouth so much. So don't worry, or you'll give yourself frown lines! :cry:

sandycakes

#4 Post by sandycakes »

Thanks for the replies. I'll try not to look :shock: too closely or think about it too much - good advice.

I can't believe I'm only on week 1 of 11 months! Getting the attachments has been an adjustment. Since I could barely yank off my upper tray at the dentist's office, the dentist held off giving me the last 2 attachments for a few days. What's odd is that now it's the lower tray that has been nearly impossible to remove.

myhollywoodsmile

#5 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hmm, I definitely have wrinkles- not sure I can blame it on Invisalign though! I have noticed that my bottom lip is becoming slightly more prominent since my teeth at the bottom have moved forward. That isn't a bad thing though as I have an overjet and my top lip stuck forward of the bottom before.

sandycakes

aligner 10 = appearance of wrinkles... no!!

#6 Post by sandycakes »

So, after 10 sets of trays, I have developed new crease-lines around my mouth... I don't see my dentist until early January when I'm due to have my mid-course impressions taken. Does anyone know if dentists always take attachments off to do the impressions?

I decided I'm going to see if I can get away with no attachments for the rest of my treatment since I believe it's the attachments pushing out the sides of my mouth that are causing the wrinkles. I'd rather have semi-straight teeth and no wrinkles... at least for as long as possible!

Second Time Around

#7 Post by Second Time Around »

Hi Sandycakes,

I doubt the attachments themselves are causing wrinkles. I started Invisalign at age 41. I have been in treatment for 20 months, with 18 attachments for the past 8 months. I can honestly say I haven't developed any wrinkles around my mouth in that time.

I would guess that the action of placing aligners in and out of the mouth multiple times per day might put stress on the skin in that area. This might settle down over time as you move into a routine where it becomes easier to remove and replace the aligners.

smilesunset

#8 Post by smilesunset »

I'm completely baffled as to how attachments could possibly cause wrinkles. However, I can tell you that you will have your attachments removed for the new impressions. I would strongly advise you to take your orthodontists' advice about attachments and not rush into a different course of treatment with possibly poorer results because of your concerns about wrinkles.