Invisalign move teeth vertically?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Vyse

Invisalign move teeth vertically?

#1 Post by Vyse »

Can invisalign move teeth up and down from the gum?

Also if you decide to get braces for a second time from a different ortho would there records show that I had my 1st treatment at X ortho?

TinySmiley

Re: Invisalign move teeth vertically?

#2 Post by TinySmiley »

Vyse wrote:Can invisalign move teeth up and down from the gum?
I don't know if your teeth can move up with invisalign, but I think they can move downwards. For me, my dentist put an attachment on one of my pre-molars to help it move downwards to match the length of my other teeth.

gdriftr

#3 Post by gdriftr »

I'm having one of my lower front teeth moved upwards at the moment. the ortho put an attachment on it to give some leverage..

DrJasonKTam

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Vertical movements such as extrusion and intrusion are achievable using Invisalign. Keep in mind that they are some of the most difficult types of movements to achieve with a removable appliance, and may require the use of attachments, buttons, and elastics.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

chibilito

#5 Post by chibilito »

my front tooths are big. can the invisalign can push my teeth in so it makes it smaller?

Second Time Around

#6 Post by Second Time Around »

I have been through 2 separate Invisalign treatments. In that time, I had several teeth moved successfully upward, but some of my teeth were not successfully intruded up into the gums.

Originally, one of my front teeth was longer than the other. That tooth did not move upwards after 18 trays. I had experienced many problems with the first treatment, so I ended up moving to a more experienced provider.

When I switched to my second provider I was told it would be best to shave the extra length off the longer front tooth since the top of my gumline was very even. So, the issue that prompted me to look into Invisalign in the first place was successfully solved in 10 seconds!

Unfortunately, as a result of problems experienced with the first treatment, my top last molars on each side also needed to be pushed back up as those were the only 2 teeth that were closing when I bit down.

The second treatment consisted of 20 aligners. While my other main concern (overjet) was successfully corrected, those 2 back molars did not move up enough to close my open bite. I was given the option of going through further treatment with use of elastics, or contouring (shaving) enamel from the surface of the molars in order to to get my my bite to close again.

After 2 treatments (22 months combined) for what started out as fairly minor concerns, I was completely against wearing any more trays, let alone elastics! When all is said and done, I have ended up with a nice smile, but I am sad that I had to lose healthy enamel in the process.

A bit of a long post, but the main message from my experience is that upward movement is not simple, and might not always be successfully treated with trays only.

chibilito

#7 Post by chibilito »

thanks for this. i think i just gonna have a brace. it is much cheaper. thanks again

myhollywoodsmile

#8 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi there,
I have had more than one tooth moved upwards into the gum and it has worked perfectly. You can see the pictures on my blog below.

Also, I'm not sure why Invisalign would be more expensive than braces. Have you had more than one opinion as they do vary and at all the dentists I saw Invisalign was the same cost as metal braces.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Wireless

#9 Post by Wireless »

I had (past tense!!) a severe deep bite and have been treated with Invisalign to intrude my lower front teeth. So far, I have been in treatment for 15 months. It looks like I have about 8 weeks left to finish 31 trays.

I am noticing gaps between my upper and lower molars that are wider than the thickness of my aligners. My ortho plans to cut off the part of my trays covering my molars and let my bite "settle" to fill in the gaps. I'm not sure how long this will take. Hopefully not too long!!

chibilito

#10 Post by chibilito »

so invisalign may do this too. let me think about it. :D

samwalker

#11 Post by samwalker »

I am a spammer and me and my entire country have been banned.