Newbie here

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iSimple

Newbie here

#1 Post by iSimple »

Hello everyone!

I just got my invisalign this week. I have 21U/21L....so I'll be here for a while lol. I read some of the posts here; great information.

I feel awkward having aligners in my mouth, but I'm sure over time I'll get used to it.

I'm so glad I found this forum.

Thanks

Buster

#2 Post by Buster »

Hi! I start tomorrow, so we'll be going through this together! I don't know how many trays I have yet, but I suspect it's going to be a lot (at least on the lower). How are you doing so far? When are you getting your attachments?

iSimple

#3 Post by iSimple »

Hi Buster! I just got my aligners this last Monday. I'm still getting used to it. I think I already lost 4 lbs since I can't eat as many times as I used to it lol. I used to eat at least 6 times a day and drink at least 3-4 cups of tea. I'm supposed to wear aligners for 22hrs/day. So I reduced to 3 meals per day, 1 snack and one cup of tea/coffee.

Its a little hard to adjust to this lifestyle; but then again it’s not permanent. And I know I'll be glad that I went through this.

Buster

#4 Post by Buster »

I picked up my trays this morning. I've got 19U/20L, so I'll be right there alongside you iSimple!

I'm a grazer too, and wondering how to deal. I bought some kefir to drink as a mid-morning snack with the hopes that it will help fill me up, and I will only need to take the trays out briefly and brush, not floss, after to get them back in quickly. We'll see how that goes.

Right now I'm salivating everywhere, and I keep clenching my teeth together, but I think that should stop soon. I had the hardest time getting my aligners ON this morning, so I'm a little nervous about getting them out and in at lunch, but we'll see!

Phantom Muse

#5 Post by Phantom Muse »

Buster,

Because you got your trays only this morning, it might be a challenge getting them in and out today. When you start the next set of trays, put them in at night after eating dinner and then leave them in until the next morning. Your teeth will make the move to their new position, you'll sleep through the discomfort, and you'll have far less trouble inserting and removing the trays thereafter.

Kefir is a great idea, as are fruit smoothies and protein shakes - this coming from a grazer who won't be snacking again until she is done with Invisalign...

Good luck! :D

leevshan

#6 Post by leevshan »

Yes, Phantom Muse, that is the greatest advice for Invisalign patients with attachments :D
It is so much easier to remove when you leave it overnight.

Buster

#7 Post by Buster »

Well, I'm still struggling to get the trays out. In is much easier, and the top tray is easier to remove, but I broke a nail AND an outie tool this morning trying to get my bottom tray out. I don't even have any attachments yet...I'm dreading what I'll do when I have those. I was so hungry this morning I had a little meltdown and just sat on my bathroom floor crying trying to get the stupid tray out. I have to say, I'm really wishing I hadn't done this and just left my teeth alone. :cry:

Robin8

#8 Post by Robin8 »

Buster, before you remove the aligners, rinse the mouth first with warm water. It may make them easier to remove.

When the ortho put on the attachments, ask him/her to create a gingival slope for easier removal of the aligners as mentioned here: http://highlandsranchorthotintist.blogs ... align.html

Second Time Around

#9 Post by Second Time Around »

Hi Buster, one trick I learned on one of these boards that always worked for me: Take a small piece of paper towel, place it over one of your back molars. Place your thumb and index finger on each side of the aligner. Pull the aligner off the back tooth and continue to work your way around to the other side. You will find that the paper towel helps you get a good grip.

TinySmiley

#10 Post by TinySmiley »

leevshan wrote:Yes, Phantom Muse, that is the greatest advice for Invisalign patients with attachments :D
It is so much easier to remove when you leave it overnight.
I totally agree. :) In the beginning I didn't do that, I put them on in the morning at my ortho app. and then I had a hellish time trying to take them off to eat my next meal. So, then I began to put on my new aligner at night right after dinner and WOW what a difference!! It just pops off. Great advice. :wink:

LARRYBOY56

#11 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

I'm new to braces and Invisalign and making decisions on which direction to go. Can someone answer a stupid question for this newbie... What is an "attachment"? Not far enought into the process to know yet.

Thanks

Phantom Muse

#12 Post by Phantom Muse »

Welcome, Larry!

Many (but not all) Invisalign users get attachments on their teeth to help facilitate tooth movement. They are little tooth-colored "knobs" that are glued to the surface of the tooth. I have seven attachments, and four of them are round and the other three are more of a rectangular shape.

The type of tooth movement required will determine how many attachments you have (if any) and on what teeth they will be placed. I got my attachments on the first day of Invisalign, others get them later in treatment, and still others have them removed part way through treatment. I have "finished" my lower arch, so my ortho will remove my two lower attachments next week while I wait another 12 weeks for my upper arch to be finished. At that point, he will remove the remaining five attachments, take new impressions, and then I will await refinements (if needed). It is possible to have more attachments for refinements, but often you'll have fewer than with your initial sets of trays.

Many of us think that the attachments are huge when we first see them! After a few days, however, they seem sort of inconsequential. I have never had anyone comment on how they look, and I suspect even though mine are on my top front teeth, they are not so visible to others.

Good luck as you make your decision! :D

Crownjewelz

Crownjewelz

#13 Post by Crownjewelz »

Hi! Im a noob here and I just got my aligners this past Sat the 17th. I am sooo glad I found this site because now I know Im a crazy for thinking this was a bad idea. I have read several of the post on this site and it has literally saved me form wanting to chunk these things in the garbage. I went in on Sat and my Ortho put 10 attachments on from go. 4 upper and 6 lower. I had no idea what an attachment was for until I read this site. I thought they were to keep the treys on your teeth. lol Silly me! I am defintily on the invisalign diet b/c getting these things off your teeth with this many attachments in a :evil: ! However I can almost say I now prefer them on my teeth as well b/c my teeth feel loose and achey with them off. So I can hardly stand to take them off since it hurts do so and it now feel strange with out my teeth hugging friends on. So one please tell me it gets easier to take these things off so a girl can eat!! So glad this site is here!

37U/22L Started April 17, 2009[/code]

LARRYBOY56

#14 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

Anyone got pictures of what the attachments look like when glued onto your teeth? :Questions:

myhollywoodsmile

#15 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

If you check my blog, the link is in my signature I have masses of pictures with and without them. Don't panic, they really aren't that bad!