Finally Getting My Teeth Fixed

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chopper

Finally Getting My Teeth Fixed

#1 Post by Chopper »

I'm 49 years old (male), and I just got started on Invisilign (tray 1, day 3 - ouch! But getting better).

I've always been very self-conscious about my teeth. Some of my teeth were missing, some never came in, and yet I have terrible overcrowding on the bottom. My top and bottom teeth are terribly out of line.

When I was 18 years old, my parents took me to an orthodontist. He said I would need surgery to correct my bite, my teeth would be hard to move, etc. In the end, he basically said he didn't know how or if I could be helped, by him or anyone else. I left his office very discouraged. And until 6 weeks ago, I thought I was just doomed to have a terrible smile forever.

But by chance (or maybe by God's guidance), I went to a new dentist at a very well respected dental practice for a checkup. This was about 6 weeks ago. He talked to me about Invisilign, and completely contradicted everything my original orthodontist told me. He was also very disturbed by what my original orthodontist told me, and basically said that he was incompetent and his advice to me bordered on malpractice.

I'm finally getting something done about the biggest problem I've ever had in my life. My wife and children are very supportive. And that makes a big difference.

The pain and discomfort so far are not minor. I hurt. But it helps reading stories on this web site. I am now encouraged that the pain and discomfort will subside with time.

I'm hopeful that by next Christmas, I will smile with a confidence that I've never had before. Wish me luck.

msh

Re: Finally Getting My Teeth Fixed

#2 Post by msh »

Congrats on getting started! How many trays do you have in total? I've been wearing mine for 6 months now and the time really does fly by!
Good luck!

Chopper

#3 Post by Chopper »

Actually, I don't know how many trays I have. I'll ask this week at my checkup. My dentist is keeping my trays, at least for the time being.

He said that my treatment would last till about next Christmas (this was before the trays were made). I'm only on my first tray. There is no pain, but there is considerable discomfort. I do hope it gets better. But even if it doesn't, I can live with it for a year in order to have nice looking teeth.

belistic10

#4 Post by belistic10 »

goodluck on getting started :) i know how you feel i am still quite sore as my braces are very new and i am sure they all hurt about the same, the achiness isnt much fun, but the results are going to be so worth it :)

Eve43

#5 Post by Eve43 »

Hi and welcome! Im on tray #3 of 23. 46 weeks. I have had no discomfort whatsoever...I guess I am very lucky. I switch trays every 2 weeks. They are tight when I first change them for about 10 minutes. Then that's it! I love mine so far. I hope your treatment goes well for you.

Cheers!

Chopper

#6 Post by Chopper »

[quote="Eve43"]Hi and welcome! Im on tray #3 of 23. 46 weeks. I have had no discomfort whatsoever...I guess I am very lucky. I switch trays every 2 weeks. They are tight when I first change them for about 10 minutes. Then that's it! I love mine so far. I hope your treatment goes well for you.

Cheers![/quote]

Thanks to you and everyone for the encouragement. I would post "before" pictures, but I think you would all say that my face is in need of repair more than my teeth! Ha!

Eve43

#7 Post by Eve43 »

Chops, my experience with this forum has been great! Nobody judges. Post your pics! It'll be great to see your progress over time!

Cheers!