Beginning Invisalign

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nvrsaynvr

Beginning Invisalign

#1 Post by nvrsaynvr »

I just started Invisalign 5 days ago. The pain was really bad for the first 4 days. ( A lot of pressure) Feels like my gums are bruised. I am having a hard time talking on the phone to my customers because of a severe lisp. Today I felt some relief of the pain and they are getting easier to apply and take off. ~ very difficult at first! I am having a big problem though -- my tounge is getting cut all the time. The bottom tray in the inside, left side of my mouth seems to stick out a little and when I talk, my tounge is getting cut and sores. I am wondering if they dont fit correctly. Although, this area of my mouth is the worst part of my teeth. I have been putting wax inside my mouth at the ridges of the tray and that does help protect my tounge, but the wax is sticking and ruining the trays. Has anyone else had this problem wih their tounge getting cut?
Also, anyone with fillings? Have you ever bitten down on a piece of aluminum foil and got that shock? Well, my gums feel that way right now on certain teeth. Is that a normal feeling with Invisalign?

:D

rooroo

#2 Post by rooroo »

The aligner is cutting up your tongue because there are a few sharp plastic pieces, or a sharp ridge. Get yourself a piece of fine sandpaper and sand the area a little bit. I used to use an emory board. You'll end up doing this a lot while in invisalign because it seems most of the trays come with some sharp points on the inside edge. It'll also help your speach a lot.

I had fillings with Invisalgin, no problems at all.

And I'm interested to hear about your shock because I've been experiencing something almost like that ocassionally when I rinse with cold water. I'm not sure what it is, but I'd assume its normal. I had a thread in the Metal Mouth boards and no one has responded yet, so either its a common problem or no one else ever gets it. Anyway, I'm sure your gums will feel better after a few more days. Give it a full week and you'll be amazed at how much better they feel.

Congrats on beginning yoour treatment and good luck!
2 year Invisalign patient graduated to ceramics to finish up treatment

invisagirl

#3 Post by invisagirl »

If you cannot find a sharp spot on the aligner where your tongue is getting attacked you might want to think if your eating anything that could be making it worse. I've had the same problem lately with my tongue hurting a lot and I figured out the aligner had a spot that was rubbing my tongue wrong but also the dried apples I have become addicted to have a weird coating on them that was making the situation much worse. Since dumping the dried apples my tongue feels much much better.

I never had a problem with my gums and fillings although every once and a while I would get a really sharp pain in my gums but it would go away quickly and not return. Good luck!!

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

Entropy

#4 Post by Entropy »

rooroo wrote: And I'm interested to hear about your shock because I've been experiencing something almost like that ocassionally when I rinse with cold water. I'm not sure what it is, but I'd assume its normal.
It's not so much a shock as an electrical tingle.
It's caused by the dissimilar metals of the fillings and the aluminum (most metals cause it, some more than others) creating a battery using saliva as an electrolyte. It's not dangerous for short periods of time, just wierd. If you want a good zing, try testing a 9V battery with your tongue.

IsisKat

#5 Post by IsisKat »

I just started invisalign 3 days ago! My gums hurt too-but just the bottoms. My tongue and inside of my mouth in front of the bottom teeth are sore too. I'm hoping I'll get used to the aligners. It bothers me that there is this "stuff" in my mouth-I try not to feel it with my tongue but it's hard not to. Anyway, I'm glad I finally got braces but am looking forword to not noticing them so much.
Kat

annel

#6 Post by annel »

I, too just strated invisalign 3 days ago. I'm doing ok and found that I also have some sharp edges that make my tongue sore. Since I've been lurking around here for a while I had already heard about sanding the edges and tried that and it does help- also lining the sore spots with wax while I sleep at night gives my tongue a break.

nvrsaynvr

Invisalign getting easier

#7 Post by nvrsaynvr »

Well, I am on my 5th tray since my first posting. I complained to my dentist about the cutting in my mouth. He stated he received these compaints for people who had a narrow mouth. (which is my case) He sent a letter and called Invisalign about the complaint and Invisalign instructed my dentist to send them back. He did, got them back in 2 weeks w/no relief. Since then my doctor shaves them down with one of those loud tools. BZZZZZZ It helps, but what helps even more is to take a nail file and file them down even more and make them smoother. I havent noticed any change in my teeth. Although every time I switch trays it is very uncomfortable for about 3 days. (I change trays every 3 weeks). I have become very comfortable w/Invisalign. When I am without them, I feel like I have left my kids behind. I w/check in in another few weeks to let you know my progress. BTW I have 17 trays on the top and 24 trays on the bottom. So I still have a long way to go. I looked at my 17th (future)tray and what a huge difference ! I cant wait for my teeth to be straight. (12 more trays to go for straight teeth)