New to Invisalign...two questions

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PA Barb

New to Invisalign...two questions

#1 Post by PA Barb »

I just got my first aligner yesterday...1st in a set of 11. I have two questions for you veterans.

1. My tongue is sore and roughened from rubbing against the ridge of the aligner...will this go away with time?

2. I find I do a lot less eating because it is too much of a hassle to remove the aligners and brush/floss. Did anyone lose weight while wearing Invisalign?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Jeff

#2 Post by Jeff »

I used an emory board to take the edges off the trays in the places that irritated me. Anytime you put something foreign in your mouth, there's going to be an adjustment period, but you'll be surprised at how fast you adapt.

The same applies for eating. Initially, it's a pain because you're not proficient at popping the trays in and out, your teeth hurt, and you're concerned about every little thing you eat or drink. This too shall pass. Eventually, you'll fall into a routine of eating, brushing, and flossing and things will sort themselves out.

nvrsaynvr

#3 Post by nvrsaynvr »

I agree with every word from Jeff. Emery board is used on every tray of mine, to smooth of the edges. I takes about 3 days of using the emery board to totally satisfy me.
The first tray, I also used brace wax in my mouth, until my mouth and tounge ajusted to the trays.
Eating - I am so used to the trays now (7th), that eating is not an issue anymore. I took me about 3-4 weeks to get used to them.
Good luck!

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff »

nvrsaynvr, how are your aligners fitting these days? Our original thread met an untimely end for some reason.

PA Barb

#5 Post by PA Barb »

Thanks to both of you for your prompt replies. The roughened edges of my tongue have now turned into blisters! Talk about painful! I look forward to the time that my mouth adjusts to these things.

nvrsaynvr

#6 Post by nvrsaynvr »

PA Barb - If you have blisters, I highly recommend using wax. It is hard to get off your trays when cleaning, but I know how you feel. I presently have a blister in my mouth and it hurts like heck! :evil:
I am sorry for your discomfort. Try the emery board (nail file). It works great! I carry one in my purse because every new tray I have to file and it takes a few days to get it smooth enough not to bother me.

Jeff - well, my other post mentions that I was sick and I had to leave my trays out for over 24 hours. I put them on and they are not fitting well. I have noticed a huge difference in my teeth this tray ~ but now this tray is not fitting correctly, because my teeth moved when I didnt have the tray in. I just have to be really strict and leave the tray in ALL THE TIME, for the next week. Next weekend (12/24) I have to change to my 8th tray. I hope it fits!!!

buttercup

#7 Post by buttercup »

haha i told all my friends that i was going to loose weight because my teeth are in prison, but.... the opposite happened. because when i DO eat, i think ok i have to eat enough so i won't be hungry for a long time (because i dont want to keep brushing my teeth) so i think i eat more than i should. haha. but anyway, i didn't have your tongue problem but i think u should be fine after a few days.

PA Barb

#8 Post by PA Barb »

Buttercup,

Thanks for your reply. I tend to be on the thin side, so I don't want to lose any more weight. I'll try to remember to eat more with each meal.