Unsuccessful Invisalign

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rooroo

#16 Post by rooroo »

You will get to the point that you don't notice them. It's only been two weeks. Give it a month and you'll change your mind.
2 year Invisalign patient graduated to ceramics to finish up treatment

bbsadmin

#17 Post by bbsadmin »

I'm sure you guys are really pissed and disappointed going into traditional braces after Invisalign caused bite problems. After all, you did the Invisalign because you didn't want regular braces, and now it's all for naught.

Hopefully the traditional braces will correct your problems. They make your teeth hurt for the first few weeks and your gums get all torn up. But after a while the pain pretty much goes away and your gums get used to them. I know that at first, it doesn't seem like it will ever get better, but it does. Dental wax helps a lot in that regard.

Just hang in there, guys.
Last edited by bbsadmin on Sat May 21, 2005 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

rooroo

#18 Post by rooroo »

SumatraBouffant:

How are you fairing with the traditional braces? You haven't been on in awhile, and I always assume no news is good news, so I hope you're doing better now than you were when you last made your posts. :D

sbdragon

invisalign sucks

#19 Post by sbdragon »

Sorry, maybe the subject line is a bit harsh but I am soooo through with invisalign. First off, everyone used to comment on how beautiful and white my teeth were but being the perfectionist I am and at the time pushing 39, I thought I'd wear invisalign to "tweak" my bottom teeth. I've been wearing these things now for 15 months! My ortho insists that I wear each tray for like 3-4 weeks. Everytime I have a visit, he justs punches bubbles into my current tray and tell me to wear them another week. My canine (?) tooth is pushed way to far in, when I bite my teeth don't really like touch top/bottom. I paid $5,000 cash for these things plus $200 twice for losing the plates.
One big thing to watch out for....they SHAVE your teeth! They put like a flimsy emory board between your teeth and shave them (not to mention always cutting into the gum OUCH!) :oops: I feel like after all this is over, I'm going to have no enamel between my teeth, my teeth will be so loose that they will go all over the place, I won't be able to bite correctly, and ultimately, will end up spending more money and time by getting traditional braces to correct the invisalign. My kids have metal braces and they're just about done and their teeth look beautiful.

Dr. Randall

#20 Post by Dr. Randall »

In most case, conventional braces do the job better. If I start struggling with a patient's teeth with Invisalign, I usually switch over to conventional braces to finish. I charge quite a bit more for Invisalign treatments, but I do whatever needs to be done to complete them correctly, including placing some braces without charging an additional fee.

Randall

SumatraBouffant

#21 Post by SumatraBouffant »

Hi it's me again after a couple of months. Well still hate my braces and annoyed about the junk in them after eating. Son will be getting braces in August so I am trying to be a good role model and toughen up and stop with the whining.
No one has a crystal ball and if I had I would have never embarked on invisalign treatment.....can't turn back the clock now.
Regarding the shaving comment on the teeth it is W E I R D. My ortho said she is going to want to do some more "contouring" and I am not so convinced that would be a good idea. My teeth are kind of little as it is. Also enjoyed the splendor of Power Chains for the first time this month, good news some some better results with my tipped teeth. Jeez you would think my mouth was a train wreck before all of this and actually I just had a little minor crowding. Damn my vanity!

tinseltown

#22 Post by tinseltown »

I had the same bad experience with Invisalign and would not recommend them. I was never told about the Tooth Shaving and when my Ortho was doing it, I was thinking, "My God! What on earth are you doing!" My teeth are already narrow and you're shaving them down? A seven month treatment stretched into a year and a half and then I was told I would need wire braces to finish up. Three years into it and my teeth are still not done. My bite needs alot more work. There is no end in sight.

rooroo

#23 Post by rooroo »

Just so others interested in Invisalign don't freak out, shaving and shaping of teeth is acutally quite common even with traditional braces. I had my front upper teeth shaved so they would fit together better. And all of my front teeth, top and bottom, were shaped to be flat. So this is not something they do just with invisalign. Shaving and shaping does damage the enamel, but the enamel comes back over time. It has to damage the enamel because, after all, you are chisleing away tooth to get a better fit.

tinseltown

Adult Braces Hit and Miss?

#24 Post by tinseltown »

Now my orthodontist says I have a stubborn tooth that may be "fused to the bone" and won't move. Says my dentist will have to build a crown there. I did research and this is called an ankylosed tooth. If you've ever had a tooth knocked out or extractions, this can be a common problem. So adults who have these things in there dental history may have unsuccessful orthodontic treatment. I was never informed of this possibility before my treatment. Now I have crossbite and certain teeth are not going to move, so the end result of my treatment (going on three years) will not be an ideal one with symetrical arches and optimal occlusion.

rooroo

#25 Post by rooroo »

There is always a possibility that your treatment will not work. In fact, for most of us, it rarely works perfectly. Usually, the ortho makes you sign a waiver that your outcome may not be what was originally discussed, and treatment may need to be stopped if certain problems occur. So don't blame your doc for not telling you. How could he have known that situation would come up? In the end, you'll be much happier with your treatment if you agree that your teeth will never be movie star perfect, and your happy with as close to perfect as your ortho can get.

boaster

Hmmm

#26 Post by boaster »

These posts are discouraging. My teeth are straight except for the top four middle and bottom four middle (of course, the most visible ones).

I asked both my Dentist and Ortho whether just getting them knocked out and having a bridge put in would be better, or having fake teeth put in etc., and both said no, real teeth were better. Now I'm starting to have some doubts. If I had gone with the cosmetic dentistry, I'd be done now and wouldn't have any concerns that the end result might not be perfect :cry:

SumatraBouffant

#27 Post by SumatraBouffant »

"In the end, you'll be much happier with your treatment if you agree that your teeth will never be movie star perfect, and your happy with as close to perfect as your ortho can get."
RooRoo perhaps those of us who are UNHAPPY with their invisalign results wouldn't feel hoodwinked if the Invisalign Company marketed their product honestly. I don't recall reading any disclaimers associated with this product prior to starting treatment and I certainly never had any kind of discussion with my poor long suffering orthodontist about what a disapointing result I would have.
I am still ticked off. Please spare me the lectures. :x

SumatraBouffant

#28 Post by SumatraBouffant »

Holy Cow that was a hostile last sentence. My apolgies!!!

nvrsaynvr

#29 Post by nvrsaynvr »

Hi Sumatra - I am sorry that you are unhappy with your results!
As far as the disclaimer -I have to say that I did get a disclaimer before starting my treatment and had to sign a 4 page disclaimer that came from Invisalign.
My ortho made sure also to tell me that not all cases come out as they should. But stated "my case" should work with Invisalign.
I have to say I am very happy with my progress. (almost completed with my uppers) and almost half way done with my bottoms. My uppers turned out beautiful. I hope my bottoms do the same.
Again - Im very sorry you went through treatment and didnt get the results you were looking for. I know I will be very disappointed if my bottom teeth dont come out correct.

lesley

#30 Post by lesley »

I do not remember signing a 4 page disclaimer - but my Ortho did inform me that many patients have to switch to regular braces after Invisalign. He told me that worst case scenerio, Invisalign could only fix 90% - I told him that I would absolutely not be switching to braces at the end and 90% fix was ok for me.