Invisalign Start to Finish

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Big E

#16 Post by Big E »

Hi everyone!

New guy here. I'm on week #8 of Invisalign and my fourth set of aligners. I've got 24 uppers and 35 lowers altogether. So far it's been all good. My speech is good and no one notices them.

And my teeth seem to be tracking fine. So far the aligners have been pretty tight and make my teeth sore for the first 3-4 days. Then they feel like they fit my teeth perfectly for the remainder of the 2 weeks until I switch them out. I've been pretty good about wearing them 22+ hours per day.

There do seem to be several threads on this board about negative Invisalign results and people ending up having to wear braces. I'm curious to hear if these folks went to a "premier provider" orthodontist and how complicated their cases were. My ortho is a premier provider who has treated hundreds of patients with Invisalign. He says only the extreme cases end up in regular braces at the end, and he tells them this up front.

For those of you looking for some positive Invisalign results, check out:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/InvisalignUsers/

There is a recent post on there about a patient who went through 70 aligners without a revision.

I hope everyone gets the results they want!

Eric

diehard

#17 Post by diehard »

big e your experience so far sound exactly the same as mine 2-3 days of discomfort then fine nobody has noticed my trays i try and stay 1 foot away from people, no speech problems at all. The only thing that really bugs me is when i put new tray on bottom it is a bit springy on 1 side ie the side where there is a movement in the tray it takes a few days to sit down this maybe due to the fact my orth has not put any buttons on bottom yet i will see if that is the prob as i see her at weekend.

by the way im having 47 uppers 37 lowers and have have 4 extractions which the trays will be closing for first half of the treatment. :D

tinseltown

#18 Post by tinseltown »

In my case "springiness" was a signal that the trays had gotten ahead of the actual movement of the teeth, i.e. stubborn teeth that needed more torque than the invisalign plastic could provide, no matter how long they were left in. Now that I'm in tinsel, there are still teeth that will not move. If metal and wire can't move a tooth, how in the world can flimsy plastic do it?

Jeff

#19 Post by Jeff »

OK. Last week, I found an invisalign success story in the flesh. A guy I work with is just finishing up his treatment, and is totally happy with his results. In addition, I see this guy all the time, and I had no idea he was wearing the trays.

Of note, the problem he wanted to correct was very minimal. His bottom two front teeth tilted toward each other like a pair of scissors which made it nigh upon impossible to floss between them. His gum tissue was starting to recede there, so his dentist treated him with Invisalign to straighten those two teeth. 10 bottom trays and 30 weeks later, he's guite happy.

For my part, I've been in metal for about 7 months following about a year and a half worth of Invisalign, and my teeth are almost perfect. Hopefully, I'll be done by the beginning of July.

Jeff

#20 Post by Jeff »

Oh, and Tinseltown, I totally agree with you. Even with wires, brackets, rubber bands and the kitchen sink in my mouth, there are still a couple of teeth that are proving to be a real pain to get moved.

To look at my teeth when I started, you would have thought that Invisalign should have handled the job just fine--there wasn't anything particularly complicated about my case. I just wanted to go from "Midwest Average" (I can say that because I'm from the midwest) to "California Perfect." Apparently, however, the reality is that my teeth are just too stubborn for plastic trays to move.

Big E

#21 Post by Big E »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've got a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1. Did your ortho tell you that metal braces might be needed at the end of the Invisalign treatment? Or did it just come to that since your teeth weren't cooperating?

2. When in the process of Invisalign did you notice that things weren't tracking as expected? Did the trays gradually stop fitting your teeth like they should?

3. Did the Invisalign reduce the amount of time you'll have to spend in metal braces?

Thanks again. I'm just 8 weeks into Invisalign for fairly simple problems. I've got a narrow arch and some moderate crowding with 24 uppers and 35 lowers prescribed. About a year on the uppers and 16-18 months on the lowers. So far my teeth seem to be cooperating great. The trays are very tight and mildly "painful" for the first 3-4 days, then my teeth seem to shift and I can't even notice the trays for the remainder of the 2 weeks. I'm at the end of my 4th one right now, and I literally can't notice it, it just pops right in and out it fits so well. I just really hope this works as I'd be pretty bummed out about having to wear metal braces.

Eric

Jeff

#22 Post by Jeff »

Eric,

1. Did your ortho tell you that metal braces might be needed at the end of the Invisalign treatment? Or did it just come to that since your teeth weren't cooperating?

There was never anything said about metal braces. He mentioned at the beginning that refinements are often needed, but that we would cross that bridge when we got to it.

He was frustrated because his options as an orthodontist are limited with Invisalign when things don't go according to the model. When it was apparent that I'd need my second refinement, he suggested punting and going with metal so he could micromanage my treatment--he's a perfectionist, a trait I look for in an orthodontist. At that point, my fed-upedness with Invisalign trumped my vanity and I said yes. I haven't had a moment's regret.

2. When in the process of Invisalign did you notice that things weren't tracking as expected? Did the trays gradually stop fitting your teeth like they should?

It was subtle, but it was obvious once my teeth got behind the Invisalign. This was probably about 7 or 8 months into it. The trays stopped fitting perfectly so that there were unsightly gaps in the front. In the back, the trays were lifted off my molars. I tried leaving a couple of the trays in for well past the two weeks I normally wore them, and my ortho even put little dimples in the trays to help move a couple of stubborn teeth, but nothing helped.

3. Did the Invisalign reduce the amount of time you'll have to spend in metal braces?

It's tough to say. The Invisalign straightened out some crowding, but in the process, it created a bite problem that I didn't have before and that the braces had to fix. I'm told that if I would have just gone with old school braces right from the beginning, I would have been done months ago (I would have saved about a suitcase full of money too).

DCOrthoGuy

Orthoclear

#23 Post by DCOrthoGuy »

This is the reason that my ortho wanted to go with orthoclear for me instead of Invisalign. First reason because apparently they are twice as clear, not that I can really couch for that but they ARE clear. But secondly they send two trays at a time, which accounts for 6 weeks worth of treatment. At that time you go back to the ortho, he sees how the 3rd set of trays fits and checks the progress. If it seems to be a bit off, they take another digital image of what is going on, and send it back to Orthoclear. They then make adjustments for your next set of trays and hopefully fix the problem. Seems like they are a lot more flexible to problems like you were having. Since Invisalign sends your entire years worth of trays out at once, you're kind of stuck if it doesn't work.

By the way, my ortho actually told me that he has seen cases where people need braces for 2-6 months after the aligner type treatment and that I should be aware that might be needed.

colbyhon

#24 Post by colbyhon »

I have completed my treatment and I did not have to have traditional braces to complete it. I am very happy with the results and my teeth look exactly likey the predicted model. I also only had to use the aligners for the prescribed 28 weeks. 14 top and 11 bottom.

cordelia wrote:hi, jeff, et al.
yes, id love to hear from anyone who has completed invisalign treatment and been in a total success without having to wear braces at all. i am considering of having my teeth done with invisalign/similar invisible clear tools. my ortho said my case is treatable with invisalign and am seeing another one in a week time and another in a month time.

but it sounds that quite a few have had to wear traditional braces like those here. indeed, ive seen no single response claiming total success with invisalign in this forum or anywhere else on the net. well, maybe, if you are totally done and have had no problem, then you might not need to post anything in a forum in the first place, but id like to know anyone whos absolutely happy with the outcome with invisalign, not someone in progress but done with it.
xx
JoJo

diehard

#25 Post by diehard »

a shame yours is a minor case 28 weeks is not that long compared to 2 years. :lol:

cordelia

#26 Post by cordelia »

colbyhon!
thanks for your reply, and there is one who has succefully completed invisalign treatment! it's good to know and hope i will find more of these success stories!

Drewjb007

Maby ceramic instead!

#27 Post by Drewjb007 »

Boy am I glad I didn't get Invisalign. My ortho told me," The Invisalign treatment will not work as good as traditional braces. They may work and they might not. It's all up to you. If you want Invisalign, I will do it for you. But I would advise using ceramic brackets instead." I am 15 years old and VERY vain. I wanted Invisalign because...well... they are invisible. The ortho told me it would cost about 5,000 dollars. Thats alot of money. My mom said we need to go with what will work the best. So here I am with ceramic brackets (which are nearly invisible), ahead of schedule, and am due to go naked in 9 months :D ! And the best part is in the end I only spent 2,000 dollars :-* ! So in my opinion, I would go the safe way out. It might not be as easy, but you might save alot of money and time down the road :wink: .

Invisalignee

#28 Post by Invisalignee »

Hmmm, well I am now on Tray 15 / 40, nothing bad has happened yet!

However, if it does, and I am recommended a revision or whatever, I will tell the ortho to throw away all the aligners and put me in real braces ASAP!

I am one of those people who are scared of the end result as well, but I am still 1/3 of the treatment in. I don't know what's coming up next, I just hope nothing bad. this whole tooth ordeal has made me extremely nervous, as week by week I have had to endure all sorts of pain in my teeth from sore to pain galore!

And I paid $6500 for all this, so if anything goes wrong, hell on Earth will be justifiable for once in the history of this planet!
* Expand the gums > DONE! :)

* Invisalign treatment > DONE! :)

* Braces correction > UNDERGOING :|

* 3 Implants > NEXT YEAR! :(