I get invisalign tomorrow - Helpful tips please

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

statman

I get invisalign tomorrow - Helpful tips please

#1 Post by statman »

I am really nervous yet excited at the same time.

How should I brace for pain and discomfort??

What are some must haves in terms of dental products that I should invest in now?

How long does it take before the invisalign braces actually feel like a part of your mouth.

Thanks,

Statman

buttercup

#2 Post by buttercup »

hey i dont think you should worry too much. when i first got them on, i didn't have a lisp or anything. and it wasn't really pain per say but it just was a little tight feeling that actualy felt kind of good.
you should buy toothbrushes and mouthwash becase well i was told to brush them with mouthwash every morning.
anyway for me , no one notices them unless its my first day wearing a new set and i'm standing really close to someone. otherwise no problem. and dont worry about the pain. i've never had unbearable pain. good luck~

Pinkie

#3 Post by Pinkie »

Go to your chemist and buy some orthodontic wax now!!!

My tongue was getting rubbed so much in my first couple of days that it was really sore. The sore tongue was the thing that affected my speech not the aligners so i would definitely invest in some of that now so you can keep it in your pocket for when you need it! :D

This may not happen to you on the first day but i think i'm right in saying that it will at some stage :) The wax stuff is AMAZING though! Also the soreness doesn't last, don't ask me why but maybe your tongue gets used to the new aligner..

Pain or discomfort from the pressure was minimal for me, no way would i need a pain killer.
Pinkie

statman

#4 Post by statman »

Well I have had them in for about 4.5 hours now. They feel fine and I am quite excited. The only thing is every time I rest my tounge it hits against the bottom part of the invisalign tray and I can feel a part of my tounge has already been irritated. What can I do to get rid of this ??

statman

#5 Post by statman »

It seems that the way my tongue is resting the bottom portion of the tray is causing discomfort. The under side of my tongue has small cuts. What can U use to avoid this situation.

Ewok2000

#6 Post by Ewok2000 »

Some have a lot of pain while others not so much, I am lucky to have minimal discomfort the first few days. Usually after 2-4 weeks you forget that your wearing them and it becomes a normal thing.

Pinkie

#7 Post by Pinkie »

Statman, the tongue thing is exactly what happens to me :yuck: but if you take out the aligner and rub plenty of orthodontic wax on the bottom edge of it it's a big big help. It like a kind of lubricant layer and after a day or so you won't even need the wax anymore because your tongue seems to get used to it :)
Pinkie

waiting2smile

#8 Post by waiting2smile »

Hi there,

There is certianly nothing more annoying than a raw tongue! Another option is to take a nail file and file down the ridge of the aligner thats bugging you, some times it only takes a few swipes of the file to get it to that comfortable fit. you can also ask your ortho to do this for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. If you do do it yourself just do it a little bit at a time until it feel right. Your tongue will eventually toughen-up so hang in there.

statman

#9 Post by statman »

I just put some orthodontic wax on the under side of the tray. That seems to have done the trick :D