a bunch of invisalign questions

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newsmileNYC

a bunch of invisalign questions

#1 Post by newsmileNYC »

Hello all,
I'm on my first aligner and I have a lot of questions. Of course, I'm seeing my orthodontist soon, but I'm impatient. So here goes:

1) I only have 13 trays for the upper, 7 for the lower. Is that reasonable? My teeth are pretty bad, at least I think they are. Anyone else had so few? I'm happy if this means my treatment is only 6 months, but that just seems unlikely.

2) Has anyone here used invisalign over a baby tooth? Yes, I still have a baby tooth even though I'm 24. My father had one through his 50s and my 27 year old sister still has two of them. It's weird and genetic. There is no adult tooth behind it. The plan is to try and move it a little, and if it gets loose to have it pulled and get an implant.

3) I've seen lots of comments on the topic of cleaning, but I still can't decide what to do. I've been soaking mine in baking soda and water, which seems to help. Is anyone really happy with a cleaning system that they've found? Has anyone actually tried the invisalign one?

4) Will I reach the point at which I don't think about these plastic things in my mouth ALL THE TIME? Just wondering.

Thanks everyone.

diehard

#2 Post by diehard »

1) Sounds low to me I have 47 uppers and 36 lowers I would say my case is between medium and hard, how does the cost compare to having a small amount of trays to having many? mine costs £4000.

2) Do not know about this one.

3) I have found that number 1 you have to be hygienic by only drinking water when they are in and then brush them with a toothbrush in the morning because this is when they will be most scuzzy, then every time there after just rinse them under tap and rub fingers on outside of trays you dont need no expensive cleaning system of tablets.

4) Put in Friday night pop a few pain tabs go to bed worst will be over then Saturday and Sunday medium discomfort, Monday to Friday snug fit then last week of wearing them is where you will forget you are wearing them.

Hope some of this helps im just about to put in my number nine trays so far so good my ortho happy and so am i nobody knows im wearing braces best bit of advice i can give is always stand 1 foot away from people when speaking and they will be invisible. :lol:

ghealach

#3 Post by ghealach »

I have 17 on the top and 12 on the bottom. I thought my bottom teeth were worse than the top, but apparently not. It seems that some movement directions can happen faster than others (side to side faster than rotation, for example) with Invisalign.

I clean mine by brushing at least once a day, though as time goes one with the same set I find myself wanting to brush it more often. If it still looks a little scuzzy, I go after it with a dry q-tip. I use Tom's of Maine, which has no sugar in it, which may or may not make a difference....I do think the mint oil in it helps keep them tasting fresh though.

I think some people can forget about them, and others just can't. While they will stop hurting (at least until the next set) pretty quickly, the plastic always feels strange to my tongue & I keep playing with the edges of it...I just can't help it, it was the same way with every bit of dental work I've ever had that changes my teeth a bit (like fillings). They do become "normal" feeling, but I am definitely aware that they're still in. Though I guess I did almost forget to take them out before eating, but I was very hungry at the time :-)

Invisalignee

#4 Post by Invisalignee »

I have 40 upper and 34 lower...a moderate case, cost $6500.

If you think they're pretty bad, then there's no way you could fix things by just 6 months! Just my opinion...but then again, they might not be as bad as they seem. Or someone (lab or dentist or comp) have screwed up in their calculations.

I am on aligner 10 right now, been with Invisalign on for 4 months and a half almost.....I see some changes, some gaps have gotten closer, some teeth seem to have rotated, but nothing MAJOR yet. :roll:
* Expand the gums > DONE! :)

* Invisalign treatment > DONE! :)

* Braces correction > UNDERGOING :|

* 3 Implants > NEXT YEAR! :(