unhappy ending

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amber

unhappy ending

#1 Post by amber »

I started my orthodontic treatment 3 years ago. I had slight overjet, slight crowding on the top with one rotated incisor. On the lower jaw I had 2 gaps in my back teeth (one on each side) - not visible under normal circumstances. Orthodontist suggested invisalign on the top and ceramic braces on the bottom. Estimated treatment time 14 months.
Back then, I discovered this site and wrote to Lynn about my treatment plan. She warned me about some of the problems associated with invisalign, but I went ahead with the treatment anyway (my orthodontist came highly recommended, by the cosmetic dentist I had initially consulted.)
After 3 years I am about to have lingual braces fitted (by another orthodontist) to correct the mess. I now have a cross bite and an overjet of 5mm! Ideally I should have surgery to correct the bite problem, but at this stage I will settle for less than perfect results.

Lessons learned:
Make sure that your orthodontist has experience in whatever treatment he proposes
Insist that your orthodontist communicates with you - don't accept a "trust me" brush off
If things do not seem right, get a second opinion ASAP
Last edited by amber on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diehard

#2 Post by diehard »

dam girl you know how to cheer people up :lol:

i can`t understand how you went through your trays (u did`t say how many) without a revision to alter the trays.

the reason i went with invisilign is simple i live in uk and im 27 and without invisalign i would not have made the step of having treatment.

amber

#3 Post by amber »

Sorry - just a reality check for those who may have doubts about invisalign at the outset.
My ortho insisted that I complete each set of trays before a revision was ordered. I had 4 revisions done in total.

amber

#4 Post by amber »

"the reason i went with invisilign is simple i live in uk and im 27 and without invisalign i would not have made the step of having treatment"

I am 44, and went with the invisalign for much the same reason. My alternative was to have the rotated tooth veneered, and not bother about the gaps in my lower teeth which were not visible. The ortho and cosmetic dentist convinced me that i would have a much better result if I went with the orthodontic treatment. My lower teeth are now perfect. My upper teeth are much improved - the tooth rotated perfectly - but the process led to the adjacent tooth moving higher up in the gum. Invisalign was unable to correct this even with added buttons and revisions. My teeth although straight (no rotations/crowding) are now not even at all. The bite problem is the main issue, the lower and upper jaw were treated in isolation and the result is a cross bite and and overjet. Just be warned that invisalign can cause problems which may force you to have the traditional braces you were adamant about avoiding in the first place.
In my case I have at least another year of lingual braces look forward to to try and correct the mess. The only consolation is that my ortho realises that he messed up and has refunded my money, which will cover much of the cost of the ibraces. The downside is that I have had 3 years of discomfort and have ended up with a completely disfunctional bite.

amber

#5 Post by amber »

Well, I have had my lingual braces for just over a week. They are great. For those who may need traditional braces after invisalign, it is a great way to go. Completely invisible and easy to get used to after invisalign.