there could be trouble ahead

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

diehard

there could be trouble ahead

#1 Post by diehard »

before i started my treatment i had a letter telling me i needed 4 teeth extracting and there is a 15% chance that at the end of treatment i may need to wear a fixed brace as some back teeth may tip slightly and need uprighting, i fear this may be happening with 4 molars i tell the ortho but she seems happy i get the feeling she does`t want to panic me i dont think even with a revision a tooth can be tipped back with invisalign. Im not sure about the cost of needing a fixed brace after invisalign because i dont want to pay thousands more for a few months instead of a few years.

lesley

#2 Post by lesley »

What do you mean by a fixed brace? Are you referring to a fixed retainer?

dr_burn

#3 Post by dr_burn »

very very few extraction cases can be finished without metal braces
invisalign's speakers who train other doctors are now cautioning us NOT to attempt extraction cases with their product (due to teeth tipping into extraction spaces as you describe)

diehard

#4 Post by diehard »

yep i got a letter saying there was a 25% chance but i was already geared up and ready to go im not really pissed off because without invisalign i would still be wishing i had a good set of teeth i view invisalign as having a set of stabilizers on a bike if that makes sense, although that is one expensive set £4000. I hope invisalign sorts out my overbite so if i need braces it will not look too bad but what im not sure about is if im in invisalign for 2 years and its only the molars which need untipping how long would that take im hoping its no more than 6 to 9 months im not sure in usa if the longer u have braces the more it costs or if its a fixed cost im sure in uk i can rely on it being a fixed cost ie rip off price :x

Dawna

#5 Post by Dawna »

I'm in germany and the price I got includes a fixed retainer on top and bottow afterwards. I guess it's all different by practise - did they give you a written offer? I have this big 4 page outline of my problem diagnosis, proposed treatment, cost and appliances included.

diehard

#6 Post by diehard »

its hard to explain but for most people who have avoided braces for a lot more years than they should, have a lack of confidence needed to negotiate things like contracts and other things it is a huge step just to ask an ortho for help its like an alcoholic finally admitting they have a problem :(

amber

#7 Post by amber »

diehard - look at lingual braces. I love mine and find them much more comfortable and less visible than invisalign.

diehard

#8 Post by diehard »

i did look into lingual braces but because i live in uk (not London) the only place which did them was too far away plus i would have been found out after the things iv read on here for first month or more its a dead give away that u have them, but as for finishing with lingual i don`t think so i figure by the time i may need fixed braces my cosmetic look should be good and hopefully my confidence will be up to wearing normal braces if needed to correct my bite :)