Skipping Aligners

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smeepee

Skipping Aligners

#1 Post by smeepee »

Hi all. I'm new here. For my first few trays my invisalign experience had been great - hardly any pain, adjusted to the trays really easily, no lisp, etc. However, when I came to tray #6 there was a problem with the design and it physically wouldn't fit in my mouth. I saw my ortho who tried tray 7 and it fit like a glove so he said to just wear that one. After a week though I could tell I had missed one because my teeth still ached but after the fortnight they seemed like normal.

Came to put tray #8 in, and the same thing again. This time there was not enough room for my attachments in the plastic. Booked to see my ortho again (this time it took a week for the appointment so by now Id wore tray 7 for three weeks) and he apologised but said there was not much he could do. My tray 7 has already got a split in it so cant really wear it much longer, so he told me to wear if for one more week then change to tray 9 and he'll see me before I go to tray 10. I kept asking "are you sure this isn't going to damage my teeth" and he kept saying no because they only move a tiny amount so although it will ache more in the short term, it won't damage them long term.

I just wanted to hear what you guys thought (for moral support really). I am following his instructions as I have no other choice (and he really is a lovely dentist so I do trust that he thinks he's doing the best thing), but I'm so scared that I've paid £4000 for my teeth to all fall out by the time Im 30. He says if it happens again he will ask invisalign to remake my trays.

Has anyone else gone through a similar thing. Please someone tell me it will all be OK in the end! lol

RenaissanceGurl

#2 Post by RenaissanceGurl »

Don't worry!

I have skipped aligners, and I have also changed to next tray REALLY early, like after only four days of wearing. Every time, my ortho encouraged me to do so and said it would be perfectly alright.

Just think about it - these myths about losing teeth because you don't wear an aligner for 22 hours, 2 weeks... they are really ridiculous!
Compared to "normal" braces, the amount of movement a single aligner triggers is extremely limited. Traditional braces don't have "stops" built in, and just have a look at the extreme (and awesome!) movement some people on this board have after only a couple of weeks in traditional braces!
Compared to that, the movement one gets with Invisalign is really tiny, even if you switch trays early.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should all shorten our treatment by just switching trays too early - that would be much more uncomfortable, and I'm pretty sure that they recommend 14 days for a reason.
Still, it won't do much harm, just don't freak out because of switching trays early etc.! :D

I, btw, was instructed to move to the next tray after only 10 days of wearing them, on a regular basis. I guess my ortho just noticed that I adopted to them really easily and my teeth seemed to move pretty fast, so he just changed the schedule...

smeepee

#3 Post by smeepee »

Oh thanks so much renaissance girl. You've really put my mind at rest. I think I just freaked myself out reading everything I could find on the Internet!

RenaissanceGurl

#4 Post by RenaissanceGurl »

You're very welcome! :)
And after all, it's certainly a good idea to be careful and attentive when it comes to dental/ orthodontic matters... :wink: