Invisalign and long haul flights

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

comedyfish

Invisalign and long haul flights

#1 Post by comedyfish »

Who has done this

Flying next week and I'm thinking of just skipping a few meals and drinking white wine/beer - mabe saving all the 'yummy' stuff for all in one go

I'm used to not eating anyway so shouldn't be a problem

what has everyone else done?

PaulInc

#2 Post by PaulInc »

Hi,

Eating is just as important or more important than taking care of your teeth.

Wireless

#3 Post by Wireless »

I frequently fly on trips up to 2 hours and normally limit myself to beer and white wine as you suggested. They're probably a lot less harmful than soda. This morning I had to pass up coffee service, which was a big letdown for an early flight!! Airplane lavatories aren't great places to remove aligners, so I have avoided this so far.

I did purchase a small reusable water bottle that I can check through security empty then fill up at a water fountain inside the airport. This allows me to have water to rinse my mouth if I need to. The bottle fits into my carry-on and has a tight cap.

So far, I haven't done flights longer. If I do, I plan to take my water bottle to the lavatory to rinse my aligners and mouth if I decide to eat something. Airlines are so chincy on food now this hasn't been a problem!!

comedyfish

#4 Post by comedyfish »

My flight is over 10 hours so I'm not sure how that will work. I don't think I'll miss the food too much but I'm thinking will have to taken them out at least twice.

Ok thanks for the responses!

Wobblydeb

#5 Post by Wobblydeb »

Why not pack a toothbrush and toothpaste in your hand luggage? :? I don't see that it should be any different to going out for a meal in a restaurant. Excuse yourself to take your aligners out, eat your meal and then go and give 'em a quick brush afterwards...

Heck if you don't want to make everyone get up twice, just turn your head and discretely pop them out when they bring dinner around :wink:
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Wireless

#6 Post by Wireless »

I find I can be more discrete putting my aligners back in than taking them out, which requires two thumbs and is quite a show. You can always try for a window seat where you can turn your head away from everyone - unless the person next to you is unusually social!

Wireless

#7 Post by Wireless »

One more comment about long flights - its a good idea to get up and move around at least once every two hours to maintain leg blood circulation. This has been a general recommendation for anyone flying long distances to avoid circulatory problems. I typically try to move around on this type of trip before and after food/beverage service when the aisles are blocked by carts. If I had a long flight, I would take my aligners out before meal service and leave them out until my next stretch break. Another if you don't want to go into the lavatory, the rear of the plane is also a place where you can discretely remove your aligners. Usually, the only people back there are members of the flight crew and anyone waiting for the rear lavatory.

Wireless

#8 Post by Wireless »

One more comment about long flights - its a good idea to get up and move around at least once every two hours to maintain leg blood circulation. This has been a general recommendation for anyone flying long distances to avoid circulatory problems. I typically try to move around on this type of trip before and after food/beverage service when the aisles are blocked by carts. If I had a long flight, I would take my aligners out before meal service and leave them out until my next stretch break. Another if you don't want to go into the lavatory, the rear of the plane is also a place where you can discretely remove your aligners. Usually, the only people back there are members of the flight crew and anyone waiting for the rear lavatory.

Wireless

#9 Post by Wireless »

anastasia

#10 Post by anastasia »

I just turn away and take the aligners out, eat the crap food and then wait until the food service is over and done before I go to the bathroom and brush. If it's only coffee, I just rinse with water afterwards and pop them back in. And go brush whenever I gotta go pee or stretch my legs. All the pretzels/peanuts/candy they keep handing out I save up for the next time I'm hungry.

My alingers have never been hard to take out or put back in though, so I can do it without people noticing. However, I really don't care if they do, I pop them out in public all the time. Maybe cover it with a napkin so people don't have to see all the drooling :lol:

Horton

#11 Post by Horton »

Wireless wrote:I frequently fly on trips up to 2 hours and normally limit myself to beer and white wine as you suggested. They're probably a lot less harmful than soda. This morning I had to pass up coffee service, which was a big letdown for an early flight!! Airplane lavatories aren't great places to remove aligners, so I have avoided this so far.

I did purchase a small reusable water bottle that I can check through security empty then fill up at a water fountain inside the airport. This allows me to have water to rinse my mouth if I need to. The bottle fits into my carry-on and has a tight cap.

So far, I haven't done flights longer. If I do, I plan to take my water bottle to the lavatory to rinse my aligners and mouth if I decide to eat something. Airlines are so chincy on food now this hasn't been a problem!!
u r wrong I think. Wine is more acid than some fizzy drink.

Wireless

#12 Post by Wireless »

Horton,

You are probably right - wine is acidic as are soft drinks due to carbonic acid (disolved carbon dioxide in water). Neither are particularly good for teeth or general health. Invisalign's official recommendation is water only - more for these reasons than staining.

I fly a couple of times a month and my drink of choice is usually determined by the airline. I get cheap upgrades on one line where beer and wine are included. On others this is six or seven bucks - so I opt for water (if I'm being really good) or Sprite. I do rinse my aligners and mouth when I land.

For me the hardest one is coffee on early AM flights. I had a 7 AM this week and had to pass even though I could smell the coffee on the service cart right next to me. I'm worthless in the AM without my caffeine fix!!