Your Invisalign horror story?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WPGKatie

Your Invisalign horror story?

#1 Post by WPGKatie »

Mine started when I had a root canal done on my right side eye tooth, in February, 2008. My dentist had not put a crown on it, which concerned me, however my dentist assured me that this would be no problem.

May 2008 I met with my orthodontist for our consultation, and he noticed a slight discoloration in my eye tooth, which had been caused by them replacing the infected pulp in the tooth, during the root canal. Orthodontist mentioned nothing about requiring a crown, but had actually SAID "we'll get your teeth straight, and then get the discoloration in your tooth dealt with, afterwards".

November 17, 2008 when I was 8 months into my Invisalign, went in for my typical bi-monthly appointment at the orthodontists, and the same eye-tooth (which had been turned towards my front tooth) required an attachment be added. As you know, attachments require glue to be added onto it. Somehow the attachment did not take, so the orthodontist said we need to file off the glue. While filing between my teeth, we both felt/heard a big crack, when she assured me that it was just the glue. I didn't question anything, because.... well... I'm not the orthodontist, why should I question it, right?

As I'm sure anyone knows who wears invisalign, you don't really want to eat much after this procedure, and I don't eat for at least a day. Well, the next day, my first meal since the "Big Crack" I decided I was going to try the eating thing, with something really soft, so made myself a sandwich. While eating the sandwich, said eye-tooth broke off in the bread. Went back to the ortho, he said it was "IMPOSSIBLE" for any of his tools to break my tooth, and then rudly asked me if I had been "eating a rock sandwich". I am very particular with my teeth, obviously, I mean I am dropping $8,000 into my teeth, I would be CRAZY to not take care of them, so clearly it was not due to my own actions.

I am taking legal action to get things worked out, but it has been the story from hell. I have been reduced to sticking WAX in my liner in place of a real tooth. Worst part is, that I am the maid of honor in a wedding in September.

Give me feedback on your horror story, or if anything as such as happened to you!

John37

#2 Post by John37 »

That really sucks. It sounds like the Big Crack was your tooth breaking. I hope everything works out.

This is one of the reasons I went to a dentist for my Invisalign. I thought there was a chance I would need some crowns during the Invisalign treatment so I figured it would be best to have the same guy doing both. So far I'm lucky that I haven't needed any dental work during the Invisalign.

PaulInc

#3 Post by PaulInc »

If this was a root canal treated tooth, i think this is pretty common. They are essentially dead teeth and are known to be brittle and liable to come out.

I had a friend who had his too treated and it came out 2 days later, so i am not sure you can blame the dentist entirely.

A root canal is the last ditch effort to save a bad tooth as far as i understand.

WPGKatie

#4 Post by WPGKatie »

I would have thought that, as well... Had my dentist not told me I don't need a crown or anything of that nature, because my tooth would have been fine. They told me that this root canal would last me at least ten years, according to my dentist. The only reason that I had a root canal done was because there was minor trauma to the pulp inside my tooth, and they merely had to remove the pulp, and used a reinforced, stronger pulp (so they said) inside of it.

The tooth IS a dead tooth, but with all-do respect, I paid $1500 in February, for it to be broken in November? Then have to pay an additional $2500? Seems relatively unlikely that this procedure, which costs a pretty penny should last such a short time.

Either way, it was a horror story, none-the-less.
Began April 2008, going strong, more confident than EVER!

WPGKatie

#5 Post by WPGKatie »

John37 wrote:That really sucks. It sounds like the Big Crack was your tooth breaking. I hope everything works out.

This is one of the reasons I went to a dentist for my Invisalign. I thought there was a chance I would need some crowns during the Invisalign treatment so I figured it would be best to have the same guy doing both. So far I'm lucky that I haven't needed any dental work during the Invisalign.
In Manitoba, dentists are dentists, and orthodontists are orthodontists, I couldn't go to both at one time :(
Otherwise trust me, I would have, lol. :P
Began April 2008, going strong, more confident than EVER!

PaulInc

#6 Post by PaulInc »

It looks like they have 90%+ success rate, which means approx 1 in 10 may fail.

PrincessLauren

#7 Post by PrincessLauren »

A 'rock sandwich'?! What did he expect you to answer to that!

Sounds very rude and well done for not just accepting it and doing something about it.

Just because someone chooses to have dental/ortho treatment doesn't mean they like going to the dentist :-)

John37

#8 Post by John37 »

WPGKatie wrote:In Manitoba, dentists are dentists, and orthodontists are orthodontists, I couldn't go to both at one time :(
Otherwise trust me, I would have, lol. :P
Are you saying in Canada dentists can do Invisalign?

If you had root canal on that tooth, then it was probably more brittle, but I didn't think it would get so brittle that fast. One of my upper central incisors had a root canal 15 years ago. I guess I am lucky that it hasn't broken so far. I worry about it when taking off a new set of aligners since there is so much pressure as I pull them off. My uppers are almost done, so I'm almost in the clear.

Good luck with what you need done. A crown should last a long time.