waiting time after wisdom teeth extraction for impressions

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

h20gal

waiting time after wisdom teeth extraction for impressions

#1 Post by h20gal »

Hi everyone

This is my first post on my journey to straight teeth! I have decided to go ahead with orthodontic treatment and the first step was having all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The ortho felt that this was necessary because they caused trouble during treatment and needed extraction I wouldnt be able to wear my invisalign trays for a few weeks while everything healed up.

SO now my wisdom teeth are out and my question is how long do I have to wait before I can get my impressions done? My wisdom teeth came out on april 6 ( 16 days so far). The extraction sites dont hurt at all, but there are still open holes with bone showing through.

I am really excited to get started, but a bit worried that it might be bad if the 'impression stuff' gets in my holes where the teeth were.

My oral surgeons office said the holes take 4-6 weeks to close up btw.

Anyone have any thoughs/experiences on this? My oral surgeon wasnt sure.

Thanks everyone

lyra silvertongue

#2 Post by lyra silvertongue »

Hi h20gal

I had both of my upper wisdom teeth extracted before starting Invisalign. However, I actually got mine out AFTER getting my impressions done so not sure how much advice I can give you. My ortho went ahead with the impressions with the wisdom teeth still in place and asked Invisalign to proceed on the basis of the teeth being gone.
I then got the teeth extracted while waiting for the aligners to arrive. I got my aligners put on about 19 days after the extraction. My mouth felt fine by then and I didn't have any problems with pain at the extraction site.

I'd say it should be ok to go ahead with the impressions pretty soon. Your ortho might be able to avoid getting the stuff into the holes. I'd give him a call & ask whether you can get the impressions done. Maybe if you went in he could have a look & decide whether it's ok to go ahead with it

Good luck!

Started Invisalign in October 2008 with 26U/14L
Started refinements Dec 2009 with 4U/5L

h20gal

#3 Post by h20gal »

Thanks for sharing Lyra

Goodluck with your invisalign

beebee22

#4 Post by beebee22 »

Hi, I had to wait 3 weeks after extraction to have my impressions done, this was plenty of time for my wound to heal enough for the impressions.