I'm having a few problems

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paramed1

I'm having a few problems

#1 Post by paramed1 »

Hi everyone!
Just a couple of problems I'm having, and hoping you have some helpful suggestions....

1. If you guys can't tell from the screen name, I work as a paramedic.. that being said, I'm having trouble trying to balance the eating, doing paperwork, and brushing with a completely unpredictable job. It seems like I either have to leave them in for the entire twelve hour shift, or I end up taking them out and they never get put back in at work because I get a call... any suggestions would be great!!

2. I had attachments put on yesterday... two of the four have fallen off. I called my dentist and she wasn't concerned?!
Also, I was supposed to have two put on the bottom, but the aligner wouldn't fit with the attachments. Is this a problem with the attachment placement or my teeth movement? ( I am currently wearing the retainer without the attachments, and it fits just fine over my teeth).

3. I'm still feeling super hungry all the time... I'm a petite person, and used to grazing constantly... how long will it take before I get used to not snacking??

Thanks for all the advice!! :D [/i]

andrea26

#2 Post by andrea26 »

I hate not being able to snack on crisps, biscuits, fruit ... I am naturally slim, but if i dont eat enough i lose weigh easily and i dont need that. I really miss snacking. I normally eat quite a lot, but i just got used to having 3meals a day and no snacking at all. I do drink coffee with my trays in but i miss not being able to have biscuits with it.

lyra silvertongue

#3 Post by lyra silvertongue »

Hi paramed1

1. I think leaving them out for an entire shift is a really bad idea. If you get a call while they're out I'd just put them back in really quickly without brushing your teeth, it only takes a couple of seconds. It's probably better to have them in without brushed teeth than not in at all. Swish some water around quickly before putting them back in and then brush them as soon as you get a few minutes.

2. My attachments have never fallen off but I've heard of it happening a lot of people and their orthos saying it was fine. I'm not too sure about the other part of this question

3. I've never gotten used to not snacking! I'm on aligner 14 so I've had them 6 months and I still find it a pain to not be able to eat when I want. Like andrea26 I'm naturally very slim & the last thing I want is to lose weight. I used to snack constantly throughout the day. Now I only take my aligners out max 4 times a day and just eat all my snacks quickly straight after lunch & dinner so that I'm still getting all my calories in. There's no way I could give them up completely - I'm a complete chocoholic & I'd fade away without my daily fixes!

Started Invisalign in October 2008 with 26U/14L
Started refinements Dec 2009 with 4U/5L

myhollywoodsmile

#4 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi Paramed,

I agree with the others, better to wear them without brushing than not at all.

Lots of people have their attachments fall off, some have to go straight back in, some have them put back on at the next appointment.
I found getting my aligners in quite hard at times, especially with the attachments but they were always ok after a couple of days.

I must confess, I snack a lot still. I have a downstairs bathroom right next to my kitchen with toothbrush etc. in. I just whip them out (only takes 2 secs) snack, quick brush or if it's nearly a meal time anyway quick rinse with water, then pop them back in. Takes less than five minutes.

Of course, I am not like you others, I actually wouldn't mind at all if I lost 4 pounds....

Wireless

#5 Post by Wireless »

Paramed, I used to ride with a rescue squad and know what it's like to get a call in the middle of dinner followed by another before getting back to the squad house. You're probably going to have to experiment to find what works best for you in this environment.

I work in a home office and still enjoy snacking some. I take my aligners out and enjoy a quick snack then do a quick brushing to get rid of any trapped food. I'm not as thorough as a regular brushing - too much tooth paste can cause chapped lips. I've I've cleaned my aligners within the past couple of hours, I simply rinse them and put them back in.

I also travel frequently and bicycle, neither of which is convenient for Invisalign. When I'm on a plane, I carry a water bottle that I fill at a fountain after clearing security. I get a window seat where I can look out the window and remove my aligners. I then enjoy my snack and drink before rinsing my mouth with the water bottle and putting my aligners back in - looking out the window again. Airplane lavatories are horrible places to brush teeth and the water on the flights that I travel was noted for washing only. So I wait until I land before doing a good cleaning.

With all of my short-cuts, my regular dentist noted that my gum health had improved significantly. I do try to brush my teeth and aligners at the first opportunity and do carry a pre-pasted travel toothbrush with me and a retainer case that doubles as a water cup (you can get collapsable cups as well) so I don't have to wait until I get home or to my hotel.

You'll need to be creative, but should be able come up with routines that work in your situation. I will comment that wearing Invisalign did require quite a few lifestyle changes beyond the marketing literature!

Good luck!!

paramed1

#6 Post by paramed1 »

Thanks for all the support everyone!
I think I'm gonna have to sacrifice, and just rise my mouth out before putting the aligners back in at work... maybe I can sneak in a quick brush at the ER :D

You'd think riding around in a mobile hospital, it would be easy! but work is the worst place with Invisalign!!