Day 2 - inside mouth VERY sore

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SallyD

Day 2 - inside mouth VERY sore

#1 Post by SallyD »

Hi all,

I've had my Invisaligns in for about 36 hours. I have 12 attachments, and the inside of my mouth is VERY irritated in 4 places where some of the attachments are. It didn't bother me until today, and when I eat it stings a little (the way a mouth sore does). It's worse when the aligners are out, but when they are in it hurts, too.

I don't want to make a big deal since this is only day 1, but I'm curious if anyone has experiences this and if it clears up? My teeth/gums/tongue are fine and totally pain-free.

Any advice appreciated...I'm freaking out and imagining 7 months of a raw, painful mouth. Thanks!

John37

Re: Day 2 - inside mouth VERY sore

#2 Post by John37 »

Don't worry. Where they are rubbing will get used to it and thicken just slightly and it will stop being painful. I'd say it's kind of like a callus, but you won't even notice it being thicker. But it may take a week or two for the pain to be completely gone.

beebee22

#3 Post by beebee22 »

I completely agree with what John said. My mouth was very sore the first week especially whilst eating without the brace in, the attachments rubbed and irritated my lips and inside mouth, I also go a really sore tongue too till it got used to the foreign brace being in my mouth. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be pretty much cleared up.

pompompadom

#4 Post by pompompadom »

Hi
I'm on day 2 of all my attatchments and yes its sore!

Worse when I eat and they're out, I have to chew very very slowly or it catches it.

I'm finding I don't want to talk alot to stop it rubbing.

I'm sure as the inside of your mouth gets used to it it'll get better. I've seem people have their tongue peirced and if can deal with that i'm sure it can deal with most things.

I've also found that when trying to get them out (very hard) the top of my tooth is so sensitive, I don' t think it has much enamel up at the top and me (and my ortho) digging around up there has made it very sore too.

Good luck.

Wireless

#5 Post by Wireless »

My attachments initially made the inside of my cheeks sore, and are still uncomfortable with my aligners out. They tend to cause irritation when I'm eating or talking. I did try covering them with dental wax one time with my aligners out to find the wax won't stick to them. They make good "compliance enforcers" as I'm much more comfortable with my aligners in.

If your tooth is sensitive near the gum line to heat and cold, your dentist may be able to put a coating over the area to make it less so, depending on the problem.