last aligner as retainer??

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

parkersg

last aligner as retainer??

#1 Post by parkersg »

Hey all,

so im on my second last aligner and when i had my last appt. I asked my ortho bout retainers. He said that i'd be getting a fixed bonded retainer running from canine to canine bot upper and lower. However, when i asked him bout the molars he said that i'd be wearing my last invisalign tray at night to keep them in place.

But surely my last aligner wont fit over my teeth when i have the bonded retainer put on will it?

will i have to cut up the last tray or something?

anyone else been through this? do you wear your last tray as a retainer with a bonded retainer also? how does it fit??

thanks in advance!

VaniBella

#2 Post by VaniBella »

I am wondering why you need to have both?

My ortho told me I had a choice, either a bonded retainer OR my last aligner i chose (Last aligner as retainer)

nogota

#3 Post by nogota »

I use my last aligner as my retainer and I have a bonded retainer as well. The doctor cut part of the inside down so that the aligner would still fit, and keep supporting the molars. My ortho had originally made me a new retainer as well as cutting down my last aligner, but it never fit as well, and caused the teeth to shift unnecessarily. It's almost been a full year since I've been done with invisalign, and I couldn't be happier with the results, and using that aligner as my night retainer.

tulip

#4 Post by tulip »

I got bonded wire retainers top and bottom. The bottom ones are permanent, but the top ones will come off after a year, which for me is Sept. To be honest, the top wire has been a pain from day one. My former overbite is now gone, and the top teeth are very close to the bottom teeth when my mouth is shut. A wire retainer on top barely fit, and the ortho had to crank the wire up and around so it would miss the bottom teeth. The bonding has come undone on the top more times than I can remember now (probably close to 15, and it's only been 9 months). Right now it's come loose again (I just had the other side reattached last week!!!), and this time it's really poking me badly. My bottom lip keeps getting caught on the wire, moreso than my tongue even, and my lip is all shredded. I am hoping they can see me first thing Monday morning to fix this.

I am going to ask my ortho if we can call it quits on the top retainer, and ask if I can have another kind of retainer. It's been such a pain.

The bottom ones however, have been no trouble at all.