Invisalign Recommended Over Regular Braces?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wireless

Invisalign Recommended Over Regular Braces?

#1 Post by Wireless »

Is there anyone else who has had their ortho recommend Invisalign over regular braces for a clinical reason? My initial assessment was 18 months in braces for a deep bite and Invisalign was never mentioned until my orthodontist reviewed my records results with me and noted I had a resorbed tooth root. At this point, he told me that regular braces could cause more damage, and if I took this route I would need to have frequent X-rays and possibly have to stop treatment. With Invisalign, this wouldn't be necessary. Because of the cost of the extra X-rays every few months, Invisalign was cheaper in my case.

I did research the comments on the resorbed tooth root and did find out it is a major issue. It has caused some trouble during my Invisalign treatment and an attachment had to be filed off for a while.

Initially, I had 14U / 21 L trays, which sounded like a breeze compared to the 18 months I was told originally. I made it to tray 14 before a mid-term correction was needed. I just got my trays and found out I now have 17 more to go bringing my total treatment time up to 16 months with a total of 31 trays.

In my case, my dentist initially told me he had done all he could do for gum inflamation and tooth wear until my ortho work is finished. It looks like my ortho is being very cautious trying to fix my bite without doing further damage.

Has anyone else had this type of experience where Invisalign was recommended because of existing dental problems??

Cheeeese

#2 Post by Cheeeese »

It was suggested to me that Invisalign would be a better option over traditional braces because I have some periodontal issues. In November of last year I had a FULL root planing and scaling (deep cleaning) to address the periodontis, but unfortunately there has been a lot of boneloss, so I have to be extra meticulous about cleaning, flossing and dental visits.

For this reason both the dental assistant and orthodontis thinks invisalign is the best option for me. Reason being the tooth movement is slower and more gentler to the roots.

I would have chose Invisalign anyway, just for the aesthetic of it all.

Wireless

#3 Post by Wireless »

Cheeeese,

I think you will find Invisalign may actually help with your perio problems. With all of the brushing and flossing needed to keep everything clean while in treatment, you probably can't go wrong. Your orthodontist may be wanting to go slower with your treatment to be careful in dealing with bone loss.

In my case, I had inflamed and receding gums where my lower front teeth were making contact. At one point the problem got bad enough to expose a tooth root. After I started with Invisalign, my trays protected my gums from further injury and I was brushing my teeth several times a day. Within four months, the inflamation was gone and my gums fully recovered. My dentist was delighted with my progress and I was relieved that I don't need to have a perio treatment afterwards!

My biggest concern now is the follow-up from having a mid-course correction and why it was needed. Most of my treatment involves vertical movement for my deep bite and I'm not sure Invisalign has a good handle on this yet. I really appreciated your thread on the 4 week schedule as I was concerned that perhaps a two week schedule had been too fast in my case. I did discuss this with my orthodontist when I got my new trays and he told me I was still on a two week schedule. It looks like I have a lot more trays (17 instead of the remaining 7 from the first set) so there's less movement per tray. I hope this works!!

Good luck and thanks for your helpful comments!!