Awaiting Refinments

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ems

Awaiting Refinments

#1 Post by Ems »

Hi All

Just wondering I have just completed my top trays (24 top and 10 on the bottom), ive had my picturs and new molds took for the refinments but i cant really see any change in my teeth after i have finished all 24 trays, my teeth are still not straight like i thought they would be (my second teeth in on the top are twisted and havent turned enough yet) and my dentist said i still need some work am really worried that the refinments wont work and i have paid all this money for them, can anyone please put my mind at ease?

My dentist said it will work otherwise he wouldnt have suggested it but am still worried :(

Ems

#2 Post by Ems »

Also looking at my clin check its nothing like how my teeth look now they should be nice and straight and there not, i wore and wear my trays for at least 23 hours so i know am doing what i should it just seem there not doing what they should. Please Help :cry:

Wireless

#3 Post by Wireless »

Have you asked your dentist what options there are if Invisalign refinements don't provide satisfactory results? In my case, I was told initially I would have several months in regular braces if Invisalign didn't provide adequate results.

I just went through a mid-course correction - same as a refinement but earlier in the treatment. My orthodontist filed off all of my attachments and took new moulds. With the new trays, my attachments were replaced with a different arrangement. I'm now five weeks into my new trays and am starting to see more positive results than was occuring with my first trays. I'm also noticing more discomfort when changing to new trays indicating there is more pressure on my teeth.

You may find with refinements that you'll make progress quicker than with your old trays as the new treatment plan starts with your present tooth positions, not where they were when you started. In my case, I'm very encouraged by progress with my new trays.

For me, there aren't any fees for mid-course corrections or refinements. The frustration is going from a total of 21 trays to 31 and losing six weeks for the correction. I'm not sure at this point this is affecting my total treatment time as I was originally told braces for 18 months. However, if I require refinements later, I could end up considerably longer.

Second Time Around

#4 Post by Second Time Around »

Hi EMS, sorry to hear that you are so unhappy with the results after wearing 24 aligners. I know how frustrating it is to be completely compliant with aligner wear and not see the desired results at the end of the process. Your post suggests that you are using a dentist as opposed to an orthodontist. Have you had a good experience with the dentist to this point? (e.g. keeping you informed throughout the process, monitoring progress at your check-ups).

If you are comfortable with your provider, then it is likely that the refinements will address your concerns. However, if you have concerns about the experience level of your provider, I would pay particular attention to how the first few refinement aligners fit, and obtain assurance at your first check-up that your teeth are moving reasonably in line with the clincheck. If you are still sensing a concern during the refinement phase, I would recommend obtaining a second opinion from an orthodontist that is experienced with Invisalign. Good luck with the rest of your treatment!

DrJasonKTam

#5 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Sorry to hear this. I hear stories about patients who looking for retreatment with Invisalign a lot. They had been shown a video, but failed to see the results at the end of treatment.

It is important to understand that the clincheck simulations are just that. They are simulations developed by technicians with no orthodontic experience. It is the job of the orthodontist or dentist to figure out whether or not these movements are biologically possible. Unfortunately, there is still a wide range of experience amongst certified providers.

Best of luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Ems

#6 Post by Ems »

Thank you for your replies, am still waiting to receive my refinements its been 8 weeks today and still havent heard anything, I rang up two weeks ago to see if they have received them in but they hadnt as yet, she said the Dr would chase these up for me, but still not heard anything. Is this waiting time normal?

Its such a long process and the waiting around doesnt really help. :cry:

myhollywoodsmile

#7 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

I'm not sure where you are in the world? I am in Australia and my wait is 4-5 weeks here. I presumed that was probably slightly longer than elsewhere due to shipping issues.

Ems

#8 Post by Ems »

Thanks "myhollywoodsmile" I live in the UK (England) and I was thinking 8 weeks is a longtime, I will chase them up, thank you

Wireless

#9 Post by Wireless »

Ems,

I'm in the US. My initial trays took 7 weeks from the time I had my moulds taken and a mid course correction took 6 weeks. I can understand your frustation as I had to wear the same set of trays 8 weeks full time waiting for the replacement trays to arrive. I would definitely check with your dentist for your status. In my case, I called after 6 weeks as this was the time I was told, and found my trays had arrived, but the office hadn't scheduled with me.

Since the mid-course correction, I am noticing very positive results so the effort was very worthwhile.

good luck!!

Ems

#10 Post by Ems »

Thanks Wireless I will chase it up and hopefully get sorted soon

Ems

#11 Post by Ems »

Still waiting will be 12 weeks on Wednesday and everytime I call up they said that the Doctor will telephone and chase these up, is this normal to wait so long am getting really annoyed waiting so long.

Thanks

KUMonkeyMomma

#12 Post by KUMonkeyMomma »

That sounds like quite a long time to me. I wouldn't think that refinement trays would take any longer than your original trays, but I don't know that for sure as I've not had any refinements as of yet (only a few months into treatment).

I'd definitely be calling on a few times a week basis - if you bug them enough maybe they'll get on the ball. If you're calling once a month or even a couple times they may intend to call and then forget - of call and be told to check back in x days and they forget to follow up.
Donna
Started treatment 9/2/09
Treatment finished 4/27/11

Second Time Around

#13 Post by Second Time Around »

Hi EMS, 12 weeks seems unusually long. I know from experience that the provider can easily tell if Invisalign has shipped the aligners (and what date they were shipped from Align Tech). There is some time required from the shipping date for the package to clear U.S. customs etc.

Of course, the date of shipping is dependent on when your dentist submitted/approved the treatment plan to Align techology. The delay could have been caused by the dentist.

I would recommend you make an appointment to go in and speak to the dentist personally. You need to make sure they are giving your case the proper amount of attention.

In my particular situation I was very unhappy with the treatment I received from my first provider (both expertise level and the lack of attention/respect I received throughout treatment). I started a brand new treatment with an Elite Premier Provider orthodontist. Overall, I have been amazed at the difference between the two experiences.

Ems

#14 Post by Ems »

Thank you Second Time Around and KUMonkeyMomma for your responses I have put in a complaint to the practice manager to chase this up and will telephone on Wednesday to see if I can speak to the doctor who is dealing with my case (he only works on a wednesday in my dentist), I am really not happy with the treatment I am receiving but I dont want to change as I will probably have to pay again and its not a cheap process is it.

I will keep you updated on how I get on but I think something isnt right with it taking so long. :(

jjrp434

Refinements

#15 Post by jjrp434 »

Sometimes even after refinements, some teeth still may not look perfect. In these cases, sometimes your orthodontist may put a couple of braces on your teeth to finish the final movements. The use of braces in this instance is pretty quick and usually only takes a few months to get the final result.
Use the Orthodontist Directory to Find an Orthodontist near you.