First night with attachments ???

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kimnim1

First night with attachments ???

#1 Post by kimnim1 »

I got 8 attachments put on this afternoon with my third set of trays. I was happily surprised that it only took me a couple minutes to get them off for dinner tonight. A trick my ortho told me was to start in the back work forward, and try popping them off from the inside of your teeth. It helped me anyway. The attachments on my top teeth are bothering me by rubbing the inside of my lips but I figure this will get better.

Now for the problem. When the retainers are out, the feeling on my teeth is horrible. Very gritty and I feel like there is food stuck in them. Is this normal and will it get better? Any suggestions to make it better? I can handle them rubbing a sore spot, but don't like how they feel at all!!

Also, hate that you can see them so much more now, but I'll get used to that too.

--13U/17L

KUMonkeyMomma

#2 Post by KUMonkeyMomma »

I only have attachments on my bottom teeth but mine felt similar the first couple of days. I kept flossing thinking there must be something in there. I think part may be just like when you get a filling, etc there is sometimes a little tooth or filling "dust" in your mouth still that didn't get out with rinsing - a little bit from where they shaped the attachments to the right size/shape got between teeth or under gums, etc.

Mine was better within a couple days - both the rubbing on the inside of my lips and the gritty feeling.

Good luck!
Donna
Started treatment 9/2/09
Treatment finished 4/27/11

andrea26

#3 Post by andrea26 »

it will get better. I remember my attachments irritating me once I got them. But trust me couple of days later and you won't even notice you have them. I know they are a bit visible but you are doing this to get a beautiful smile. I am 7 months into my treatment and only 1 person has asked what are those little things on my teeth /attachments/ Most people don't notice.
Good luck with your treatment !
started invisalign 23rd March 2009
finished invisalign 3 June 2010

kimnim1

#4 Post by kimnim1 »

I had 2 pop off the very next day, one at lunch, one at dinner. I got them put back on yesterday and so far so good. My teeth are really sore (especially my bottom) but it's only been about three days with this retainers so I'm sure that will go away. The gritty feeling is better already and no one has said anything about them. Probably wouldn't even know I had them if I hadn't already been showing everyone...Everyone i work with is intrigued by the process so i've been filling them in on everything. I'm not shy about it. thanks for replies, figured it would get better, just needed to hear it :wink:

Zoso

#5 Post by Zoso »

People don't have to say something to notice something, friendos.

If people aren't noticing attachments, then by that logic they're not noticing your teeth in general either. If that's the case, then what's the point of getting braces? People are gonna notice, so don't kid yourself. What's important is that you don't care whether they do, and keep your eye on the prize.

kimnim1

#6 Post by kimnim1 »

me again...
over the weekend all but 2 of my attachments have cracked. they haven't fallen off, but they look to be about half the thickness they used to be. is this a problem? i really don't want to go get new ones put on if I don't have to. the retainers still feel tight and "click" over the attachments. I'll call my ortho if you think i need to but I don't have to go back for five more weeks and want to keep it that way if i can :)