Shorter time between trays?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nycgrrl

Shorter time between trays?

#1 Post by nycgrrl »

Hi everyone. So I'm on tray 4 right now, and my doc told me to switch trays every 10 days instead of 2 weeks because I have a lot of trays. Has anyone else had the time between trays shortened? I guess I should be happy?? Just wondering if this is common?
Female 28yrs old
Started Nov. 2009
U - 8/36
L - 8/23
8 attachments

Second Time Around

#2 Post by Second Time Around »

Hi there, the move to 10 days per aligner is not uncommon. I have come across multiple threads in which posters indicate they have been instructed to wear aligners for 10 days as opposed to 14.

I kept hoping my ortho would propose the shorter wear time at some point during my treatment, but I've had no such luck!

17 of 21/U, 20/L

TinySmiley

#3 Post by TinySmiley »

never heard of that, but you are lucky! :wink:

BraceFace2o1o

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I have seen that some people are told to wear their aligners for 10 days, 14 days and some even 3 weeks... but normally that is throughout treatment... I haven't heard of people's time getting shortened during treatment.

Some people would like to wear each aligner for 1 week, maybe even less! Sometimes because they don't like the time it will take to finish treatment (because of alot of aligners), and some because they feel their aligners become loose alot sooner than the 10th/14th day.

The thing to remember is, aligners shouldn't be changed too quickly because it can cause problems. Root reabsorption being of them (I learnt this through research on the internet).

At the end of the day, I wouldn't advise anyone to do something they aren't comfortable with. (I know this thread is a few weeks old), maybe ask your Ortho about this or suggest continuing like you were to begin with, changing every 2 weeks. I know wearing the aligners for 2 weeks will make your treatment that bit longer, but not by too much imo.

Wireless

#5 Post by Wireless »

I think Chrystal brings up a good point about root resorption. This happened to me from a previous ortho treatment with regular braces and was the main reason I ended up with Invisalign, as this works better when there are root problems. At first, I thought my ortho was pushing Invisalign as an option until I researched to verify what he was saying, and also root resorption is the same process by which baby teeth come out.

You may want to discuss with your orthodontist any concerns, and if periodic X-rays will be needed to check for root damage with the accelerated schedule. I was told I would have to do this if I elected to have regular braces - I was able to verify this one as well. I've also seen posts on this board elsewhere where treatment had to be stopped for root resorption.

The 10 day schedule will likely work fine with younger patients (under 30 something!!) if your ortho is reviewing and making sure there is healthy progress.

Good luck!!

Zoso

#6 Post by Zoso »

Yes.

I was on 14 days for the first 5 trays and during my last appointment, I asked "how about that 10-day plan you'd said you might put me on?" He said to go ahead and try it for this round of 5 aligners.

So tonight I'm gonna put on the 3rd tray since going to 10 days. It'll save me about 44 days of regular treatment.

I don't see a difference myself. Unless for whatever reason you have really stubborn teeth (or a stubborn dentist), see if you can speed it up like I did.

nycgrrl

#7 Post by nycgrrl »

the 10 tray cycles have been working well! each tray has fit perfectly and my ortho said changing every 10 days is no problem if your teeth are responding well to it -- worth it to ask your ortho!
Female 28yrs old
Started Nov. 2009
U - 8/36
L - 8/23
8 attachments