microscrew implant

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

travelbug

microscrew implant

#1 Post by travelbug »

Hi everyone,

I have been in braces for 8 months to correct an anterior open bite. My ortho says that I'll soon be getting microscrew implants to vertically intrude my back molars. Has anyone undergone this procedure? Anything you can tell me about what to expect would be helpful.

Thank you so much!

Chris1960

#2 Post by Chris1960 »

I don't have them. I'm supposed to get them. I remembered there was another thread about it though.
viewtopic.php?t=23171

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Trav

I posted on another thread about this. I have 2 mini implants but in my case they were to anchor my front teeth while my molars were moved back. I have developed a slight anterior open bite during treatment and my ortho might use more screws to help intrude my molars. I am trying headgear first though to see if that works, as my open bite is only slight and has been caused by class II elastics.

Here is the link to my blog posts about getting the screws inserted. It wasn't painful and I haven't had any trouble with them.

viewtopic.php?t=12724&postdays=0&postor ... &start=150

eggraid101

#4 Post by eggraid101 »

Using mini-screws (Temporary anchorage devices is the term that is a little easier to stomach) is fairly easy and a very predictable way to correct an anterior open bite. People who have had them describe it as easier that having teeth removed. If you get a chance, check out a question I have for every one:

viewtopic.php?p=230790#230790
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

Clo

#5 Post by Clo »

Hi,

I post all the time here in the Metal Mouth Forum about my treatment. I now have
bone anchors to do just that, intrude molars to close my bite. For example this post :

viewtopic.php?t=22149

It should be a great method. But I now have this for about 3 months, without any
improvement yet. These bone anchors are much heavier than microscrews, because
the forces needed are too high, as I need intrusion of all back teeth.

LuvBug26

#6 Post by LuvBug26 »

I had the same metal screw impants in my front gums. They went into the actual bone structre in my jaw to creat space for my front teeth to move back where they should be. I had the worst time getting them in b/c it was not the most comfortable thing ever!!! Took 3 hours and three 'stabs' to get the right side in. Had to go back a second time to get the left side in and it took 2 times and about 2 1/2 hours. Fun fun!!
But they really did work. My ortho made a presentation out of my teeth and the implants progress in my mouth. Cool huh!!! 8)
My left one wiggled loose about 2 or 3 weeks into it and i had to have it taken out. (painful!!!) The right one stayed in just fine and it was taken out on my last visit b/c my ortho said they did very good and i was ready to start pushin' teeth back now!!! YEAH!!!! Now i just have to wear my elastics all the time to pull my teeth back!!

"To error is human, to forgive is divine."