I'm in!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Elleann

I'm in!

#1 Post by Elleann »

I'm a late-forties entrant into the metal mouth stakes and am thrilled to see quite a few others like me on these boards. Whew!

After I lost a couple of lower jaw teeth two years ago, the rest of them started growing crooked. I consulted an orthodontist, who told me I needed both upper and lowers done. Both my kids have had orthodontics, the second one still in progress, in fact. So I kinda knew what I would be letting myself in for when I started this process.

Spacers went in a week ago and this morning I had the full braces fitted. Metal lowers and clear uppers.

It feels very weird! Sixteen months to go - I can't believe I did this to myself. It's still sore and uncomfortable to chew, so right now I'm getting really hungry - but maybe I'll end up skinny yet? An unlooked-for bonus.

Nice to meet you all!

Elle in Cape Town.

At last

#2 Post by At last »

Boy do I ever know what you mean.... I am sooo freakin hungry it is not even funny!! I just had mine done two days ago, so they are extremly sore right now and I cant chew a dang thing!! But good luck to you and welcome!!

Spacers ~ June 21, 2006
All metal Braces ~ Jul 11, 2006
Est. Treatment time ~ 18 months

Elleann

#3 Post by Elleann »

Hi and thanks, guys, for the great welcome.

First twenty-four hours has been basically painfree, although uncomfortable. It hurts to chew (so I don't) and it hurts to brush (but I did!), but apart from that, basically OK.

I do get moments where I wonder how I'm going to manage with the claustrophobic feel of all this stuff cluttering up my mouth, and no way to rip it out or get away from it ... but I guess like anything else, time and familiarity will lessen the strangeness of it all.

See ya
Elle

Bridget

#4 Post by Bridget »

Hi there!!

I sympathise with you!!!! Am feeling hungry, too - I got mine on yesterday also and since then have been feeding myself on either liquid or really soft thinks (mainly milk drinks and mashed potatoes)

But I guess this will be getting better within the next few days!!!

So good luck with your braces!!!!

Kind regards

Bridget

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

Elleann

#5 Post by Elleann »

You too, Bridget! We're brace-partners with a brace-birthday on the 13th July!! How long do you expect to have yours? I was told 16 months plus a retainer for a year thereafter.

Elle

Bridget

#6 Post by Bridget »

Hi Elleann,

My ortho predicted treatment time of about 9 months, if I am lucky 6 months. After that I will have to get those fixed retainers forever, otherwise my teeth will just move again....

This is the second time in my life that I am wearing braces - had the first when I was a teenage girl, that must be 16 or 17 years ago (I am 31 now). At that time I had a crossbite and my upper jaw was to narrow...they did quite a lot to my teeth at that time. However, I believe that the retention phase was just too short so some of my teeth decided to find another position again :-)

So here I am again :-)

So far, comments from friends and colleagues were really supportive and encouraging - they all said that the braces were hardly visible from a distance - good to hear in any case.

How is it going for you so far?

Bridget

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky