Newbie (*Now With Braces*)

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ravishing

Newbie (*Now With Braces*)

#1 Post by Ravishing »

Hello!

Wow I'm happy to have found this place!!

I'm 26 and getting braces for the first time. I've got a pretty major overbite and corwding on the bottom. I'm also missing a K9 on the bottom left side. It just never showed up.

I started my process today by having 3 teeth extracted. 2 top molars just behind the eye teeth and another molar on the bottom left side in the same area. I'm not exactly sure about tooth names at this point but I'm sure I'll learn a lot!

I am supposed to have my impressions and spacers done in 2 weeks and get braced a week after that.
The receptionist at my dentist's office must have been confused when she

booked my extractions because she said there was no way that all 3 teeth could be pulled at once. My dentist is amazing and did all 3 for me so now I'm hoping that my ortho can fit me in a bit sooner (after I heal a bit more of course). I would already like to have these gaps closed. I can see them getting old really quick!

As of now the plan is to get metal on the bottom and ceramic on the top. I think I'll be a bit happier with my appearance this way and will hopefully hear a few less "metal mouth" comments from my husband. :roll:

If anyone had any advice on how to eat after extractions I would be happy to hear it. Right now I've resorted to baby food. What can I say? I'm hungry and its squishy!!
Last edited by Ravishing on Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ravishing

#2 Post by Ravishing »

Hello!

Thanks for your replies. I've found some better foods to eat and each day is getting a little easier than the last. Talking is a little difficult. I've got a nice lisp and I've contemplated eliminating the letter S from my vocabulary! LOL

I'm sure that speaking, much like eating will improve greatly over the next few days.

I couldn't get my ortho appointments moved to a closer date. My impressions and spacers are 2 weeks from today and my b day is one week later.

I don't think the next 3 weeks will go fast enough. I'm excited to get my braces on and be that much closer to a new smile :D

Ravishing

Now With Pictures

#3 Post by Ravishing »

I've never posted pictures before so I hope this works!

These are the pictures that were taken at my consult. He put an X on the teeth that I have since had extracted and the dotted circle is where I should have a lower K9 but for some reason it never developed.

Upper and lower jaw surgery was recommended because a big part of my problem is skeletal but he said that braces alone are an option. I don't know that I'm as brave as those of you who have had/will have the surgery so I chose not to go through with it.

I will have my impressions made on Thursday and they will also put in my spacers. One week later is my B day.

[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

paralegallsj

Congrads

#4 Post by paralegallsj »

Hope all is well with you. I have to have 3 extractions and I am not looking forward 2 them at all. Great Photos.

Ravishing

#5 Post by Ravishing »

I went in for my impressions and spacers today. I also made my down payment for my treatment. I have to say that forking over all that money was the most painful part!!

One of the assistants handled my impressions and spacers. She was really nice and took time to answer the list of qusetions that I had with me. My ortho popped in a couple of times to check in and see how things were going. I have to say that I really like him. He seems like a happy person who loves his job. I was a little worried that he would be unimpressed with my decision not to have surgery but he was actually very understanding and quite enthusiastic about what can be achieved with braces alone. That made me feel great!!

The impressions weren't that bad. I got to pick the flavour of stuff they put in my mouth. I decided to play it safe and go with mint. Maybe next time I'll be more daring and get cheesecake or cookie dough.
They did the bottom impression first. It felt gross but wasn't too bad. The top one was less fun but not horrible. The worst part is when the stuff started to run down my throat. I gagged a little bit and then blocked off my throat with my tongue.

After that I had 7 spacers put in. They went in quick and painless. My ortho stopped by after they were put in and he told me that spacers "really suck for adults" and to keep taking Advil to get me through the next week. So far they are annoying but I'm not in any pain. My bite feels off since they keep my teeth from meeting but its not the end of the world. I hope I can remain pain free for the next week.

I was also happy to hear that my extractions are healing nicely. This was good news after all the trouble I had with my bottom extraction site.

I learned something really cool about my orthodontist's office today. They have a really up to date computer system that will allow me to log in and handle all of my payments, appointments etc... They also take pictures of your progress and post them online so that you can see them in your own album. I'm really excited about this. Hopefully I can copy the pictures and share my progress with everyone.

paralegallsj - My top 2 extractions weren't bad. The bottom one gave me some trouble from the beginning, but I'm sure that you won't have any of the trouble I did.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

Julie08

paralegalls

#6 Post by Julie08 »

Wow, that's so cool that your orthodontist provides an online photo album!

Best wishes in your journey!

Ravishing

#7 Post by Ravishing »

Yesterday was my B day. I was really excited and somewhat impatient driving there. Why is it that I always get stuck behind a farmer doing 10 under the speed limit when I want to get somewhere? I really miss city life sometimes (ok - a lot of the time).

My appointment took about 2 hours but it felt much shorter. First she brushed my teeth with pumice to get any extra residue off of my teeth. Then a quick rinse to get all the grit out. Next she fitted me with molar bands and glued them in. The glue left a nasty taste in my mouth but it was fine after rinsing again. Next were the oh so fun cheek expanders and etchant on my bottom teeth. Once that was done my ortho came in and placed my bottom brackets on. Then more etchant and brackets on the top. The cheek expanders finally came out and I got to feel my braces for the first time. That was so crazy. Everything felt bumpy and weird.
They sent me to brush the dye off of my ceramic uppers and then I got to pick out my lig colour for the bottom. I picked blue. For some reason they weren't really into letting me put a colour on the ceramic braces. I asked about staining and she told me that if I had a problem with staining they would let me come in and get a fresh set of ligs put on. She said they are "very understanding" about this. If I have staining issues I will definitely be back in there and will probably stand my ground on the colour issue a little more.
My wire went in next. I think they said it was a .16? After that were the ligs and a snip of the wire. Then I was done!

They demonstrated brushing and flossing, let me pick out a t shirt and gave me a big gift bag full of stuff to take home. Everything from gum to a water bottle, super floss, grape bite wafer, floss threaders, timer, ortho cut toothbrush, oral b electric toothbrush, wax... the list goes on. I am ready for pretty much any dental situation imaginable!

I've felt some pressure and some aching but nothing that a piece of gum (sugar free of course) and some Ibuprofen hasn't been able to fix.

Wax is my new best friend in the whole world right now! I have a lot of hooks in there. I think I must be in for a lot of elastic time down the road.
How many hooks are normal? I have 3 on each side on the bottom and I think 2 on each side on the top.

I had some trouble flossing last night. I couldn't get the floss between my teeth at all so I gave up. Part of me wondered if there is glue between them or if they're just really tight right now? Is this normal?

Eating has been ok. A little bit of an adventure at times. I've been sticking to soft foods. I think biting on something hard would be painful and difficult. Its amazing how you can lose food in your own mouth.

I tried getting my husband to kiss me last night before showing him my teeth but he wouldn't let me kiss him until he saw them. He said "woah, you have braces" and then kept getting me to open my mouth all night. I also kept catching him looking when I would talk. At one point I asked if he just wanted to take a good long look in there but he kind of clammed up and said no. I think its funny because he is an engineer and I know his analytical mind is trying to figure it all out. Its funny that he's being shy about this. I figure by the end of the weekend he will be in my mouth with a magnifying glass or something! LOL

I took some pictures but they are on a different computer. I will post them later.

Its hard to believe that I'm actually thismuchcloser to having perfect teeth :D
[/url]

Ravishing

#8 Post by Ravishing »

Hubby FINALLY put Photoshop back on my computer so I thought I would post some pictures. I took these soon after I got home from my orthodontist's office on my B day.

[/url]

Tin Indian

#9 Post by Tin Indian »

:D Ravishing :) , Your'e name says it all. They look great and welcome to the club. BTW is that Wolfpack blue I see on the lowers?
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

M1k3y

#10 Post by M1k3y »

Awesome! Let the journey to straight teeth begin. :D
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

xtrememkovr

#11 Post by xtrememkovr »

Your name fits you to a "T". Congrats on your b-day!
I'd sing - but bday's are for presents that you WANT and that make you happy! :oops:

Congrats again!
X.

Ravishing

#12 Post by Ravishing »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I can't wait to start seeing some movement soon. I'm glad I went with the ceramic uppers - they were worth the extra money.

Any idea why I have the little triangle bends in my wires? There's one on the bottom as well but barely visible. I didn't notice it until I got in the car so I never had a chance to ask when they did it.

Tin Indian - Is that a football reference? I'm not at all into sports and really know nothing about football :oops: . I'm originally from Canada so I can handle some hockey references but thats about it! Plus, I married the one guy in the world who could care less about sports so really I've learned nothing since moving down here. LOL
[/url]

Ravishing

#13 Post by Ravishing »

I have movement!

Since getting braced I haven't been able to floss several of my bottom teeth that are crowded. I gave it a try again last night and was able to floss all but two of them. I can't see much of a change but I know that things are moving since I can now get floss in there.

My top front teeth have also been quite sore since last night so I think there is something happening with them as well.

I know its nothing really big to share but I'm still quite excited as this is the first evidence of movement that I have had.
[/url]