Getting braced at 35.. before pics

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

florencegal

#31 Post by florencegal »

Good luck next week Steve for your case discussion with the orthodontist - I had mine yesterday and it wasn't quite so bad as I expected, a lot better than all that waiting anyway! I expected them to say "Oh dear, well you're going ot be quite a challenge" but they were very positive and made me realise that a perfect smile is achievable, even for me!

I hope the next few days pass quickly for you and you get a treatment plan that you're happy and comfortable with

ssfw

#32 Post by ssfw »

Hi Steve,

Your appt. to review your records is coming up in a few days. I know it seemed like a long wait for you. Hopefully if you agree to what treatment plan your orthodontist presents to you, you will be able to begin soon after. I do know with some patients, if spacers are needed, they place them at the same appt. and with others if spacers are not needed, they get their braces placed. Placing the spacers usually only takes a few seconds. Placing the braces can take about an hour or more. Unless, they have some time allowed on their schedule for this, you may have to make another appt.

Be sure to bring any questions you may have regarding your upcoming ortho treatment - such as pros/cons of getting braces, headgear needed, etc. Also, if you feel you need some time to make your decision, don't rush into it. It took me about 2 months to make my decision, mainly due to the visibility of the braces. Also, I knew I couldn't begin my ortho treatment until the beginning of the year due to the Flexible Spending Account (tax savings program) so I had 2 months to make the decision due to the deadline of the Flexible Spending Account program. I can't believe that it has been almost one year since I went in for my orthodontic consultation.

I agree with your post about seeing the photos, x-rays and impressions that were done at the records appt. I always felt my teeth looked okay prior to getting the braces and when I saw the various photos taken at different angles, I no longer felt my teeth looked okay. I also felt the same way after I saw my x-rays and the impression. My orthodontist always refers to the photos on the computer screen located at each ortho chair and I always feel a bit embarassed to see them but at the same time I know I am there to make my teeth look better. Seeing the photos and impressions of my teeth had a big impact on my decision of proceeding with ortho treatment.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

snaggletooth steve

#33 Post by snaggletooth steve »

Getting much closer now... I'm just hoping for good news on Weds. I have $4000 saved up for this so I should be less than $1000 short of the total, unless they say I'm a special case. Better yet, since I do some contract work for them, maybe they'll sweeten up the deal. Mainly I'm just glad I've got it mostly covered and I can start saving up for the costmetic things (oh the irony of that misspelling!) that I need done when the braces come off.

I'm ready to get this show on the road!

steve

>tRoUbLe<

#34 Post by >tRoUbLe< »

Congrats Steve from another newbie AND I'm Floridian!

30 years old (come December) I had a choice (i think) to get braces as a kid and I decided against it (I already had glasses)

Anyhoo - I go on Thursday (9/7/06) to get braced. Funny because my consult was on 8/8/06 (around the same time as your appointments) and my original 'install' appt was for 8/30, but TS Ernesto changed those plans.

Something about the canines for me too...but I am soooo looking forward to 'normal' teeth!

Good luck

snaggletooth steve

#35 Post by snaggletooth steve »

Terrible news for me... not looking very likely I will be going forward on this journey. The Dr. has said my case is very severe and he's likely not willing to do a compromise - in other words he is requiring jaw surgery.

No way I can afford to stop working for any length of time to go through that and recovery, before even thinking about the expense.

To make matters worse, my missing molars won't help with my crowding because they said they cannot push the teeth back due to lack of supporting bone material. They want four more extractions and I'm not about to go through any more of those. Even if I did, this means even less teeth to chew with until ortho treatment is completed, and then even more implants/bridgework that I already would have a tough time paying for - and that's before factoring in the expense of jaw surgery/lost work.

The only good news is I wouldn't need headgear.

Forever snaggled I shall be.

Steve

joney

#36 Post by joney »

Dear Steve

I have been following your story and was excited for you. I am so sad to hear your news. Do you feel a bit misled by what you were told earlier (August 8th)? I am so sorry to hear that it will be too costly to get your teeth fixed. You could go for a second opinion but I don't know if you would think that it might be a waste of money if they had the same recommendations but you never know. The ortho might not be prepared to compromise but maybe you might for some improvement. Just a thought anyway.

The thought of having straight teeth is great and I can feel your disappointment but you know I am sure you have many great attributes that would far outweigh having straight teeth. If you decide not to seek any further treatment I would say just look after the teeth that you have. They have served you well so far in your life so keep them as best you can. From what you have said already you have been taking much better care of your teeth lately anyway so this is great.

Best of luck with everything.

Regards
Joney

joney

#37 Post by joney »

Steve

I'm a bit worried about you, hope you check in here. I've finally gotton around to posting pics, if you take a look you can see our similarities. I plan to keep an update on this site so if you want to see what my ortho plans then keep an eye on my post. I'm off for impressions etc. on 14th Sept.

Check my pics out:
viewtopic.php?p=115662#115662

Hope you're well.
Regards
Joney

snaggletooth steve

#38 Post by snaggletooth steve »

I'm still lurking.. Ortho will be back on Tues and we'll find out about my options without the surgery.

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to work for two days now because I'm just too upset over this. Thanks for checking in on me though. I'll stick around a little while until I know if I'm completely shot down or not.

Steve

SolarFeline

#39 Post by SolarFeline »

snaggletooth steve, you should progress with whatever treatment you need. This is not for vanity or cosmetic reasons, this is for your oral health and ultimately your body's health.

We all have cash-flow problems. I do not know if you are familar with asking the Universe for what you need, or "putting in a cosmic order", but, that which we need ALWAYS has has a habit of occuring, if we ask for it. Do not think it is selfish to ask for something in this material/physical plane that you need.

Close your eyes and still your mind. Concentrate upon breathing rhythmically. Then, concentrate on ONLY your breathing. Be specific about what you want. THINK "I would like ____ , please". Think of images of what you desire, and remember, that which we send out is what we get back.

I find if I ask for what ever it is 3 times a day, (once when I am waking up or when I am in the shower, once at lunch-time and once more before I slip into sleep) until I sense that I have asked enough, and then, I turn my mind away from the subject for whatever period of time, I usually receive what I have "wished" for.... 8) Everything always happens when it is meant to happen.

I do hope that you are able to proceed with your required treatment, as you do need to do this. Good luck with whatever happens, and please keep us posted as I have read your preceding posts, and I do wish for you to proceed with every treatment you need for better oral, and therefore, body health.

SolarFeline

snaggletooth steve

#40 Post by snaggletooth steve »

Some news today.. They called this morning and agreed to do a compromise treatment without the surgery. They said I could elect to do the surgery at a later time. One other good news item is they are down to three extractions.. One less on the bottom which makes me feel better.

I need to make the decision to see another ortho for a second opinion. My concerns hinge on keeping as many teeth as possible.

Steve

joney

#41 Post by joney »

Hi Steve

Glad to hear that you haven't given up on the idea, it hasn't been the best time for you has it. Like kk said another ortho might take you on and have a different approach. It may well be really worthwhile to seek that second opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep us informed.

Regards
Joney

snaggletooth steve

#42 Post by snaggletooth steve »

Ok, just an update for you guys.

First I checked on extraction cost and timing. Everyone is booked till first week of Oct. My ortho is gone the second week so I'm looking at the end of Oct now with Plan A. This buys me plenty of time to get some more consults in before extraction on Oct 5th.

I scheduled two more consults with different orthos. The first one when I called and explained my situation she claimed this ortho really tries to avoid extractions. If I walk in and he says I need them then the deal is done. I'll just go back to my original ortho and deal.

I'm going to be shocked if I come back in here and post that I still need three extractions. The two uppers - I'm not so sure but I believe the bottoms will be saved for sure.

Going to be awkward to continue doing work at the original ortho's office if I walk in with braces from another, but my dental health is more important than any future business transactions. Truly a bittersweet situation, because either way someone is going to be unhappy.

So as it stands... I'm scheduled on the 26th and 28th to meet two more orthos. I'll be back in two weeks to let everyone know the great news!

Steve

kisses14

#43 Post by kisses14 »

Good luck with your next 2 consults! I hope it works out for you! :)

paralegallsj

Hello

#44 Post by paralegallsj »

Hi!

Just dropped by. You aren't alone. I am also 35 and just got braced.

I got my metal upper braces this morning with purple ligs. I have 2 appointments until I get my lowers on. I am so looking forward to being fully braced.

Best wishes :lol: