Greetings From Australia!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SolarFeline

Greetings From Australia!

#1 Post by SolarFeline »

Greetings, I am a 35 year old who just had my braces fitted top and bottom on Monday 07 August. I am an acting student/temp, and I got my first extras gig recently where my braces did not impede the job!

This is my first post here, and I normally post on http://www.dentalforum.com.au/forum/ind ... 51024c34b which is The Australian Dental Forum. chrisk posted on that forum that he had oral surgery and posted about this forum, so I am here to check this forum out!

I have been getting mouth ulcers, however with the application of "Butler Orthodontal Wax" at night after I have mouthwashed/brushed to brackets that may/do dig into my mouth/cheeks, I am doing okay.

There is a younger woman who works at my newsagent, and I commented to her about her dental work, and I said that I had mouth ulcers for the first time in my life. She told me to buy "bongela", and upon application, the relief was immediate. My ortho did NOT mention this product... Not happy Jan! :evil: I then visited a friend of mine who suffers from mouth ulcers frequently, and she told me to purchase a paste called "Kenalog" which one applies at night before going to bed.

I was advised not to eat curries, (no worries there, I'm allergic to curry and mustard!!) and that coffee and red wine would stain my elastics a bit. Bugger. The two things I need to function! Apart from chocolate. I was also told not to eat crunchy food (there goes the pork crackling!). lionfish on the other forum did tell me that the way to eat chocolate was to break it up into small pieces, and push it to the roof of one's mouth and let it melt. This method works pretty well.

My ortho *did* give me a pretty nifty toothbrush though, made by Colgate, with its own snap-over plastic cover to cover the brush-head. I am using Listerine Tartar Control Toothpaste (Antibacterial) and using Cepacol Mint Mouthwash as my general mouthwash. Having read previous posts, (thankyou KK!) I will continue to use Listerine Whitening Pre-Brush Rinse. I do wish that it was imported into our fair country in smaller quanties rather than 470 mls! Bit hard to chuck into my handbag! Goddess I miss Plax Pre-Brush Rinse! What happend to that?

I have noticed that my lips have dried out alot more, which makes re-applying lippie "interesting". As a office bunny, I need to look my best at all times, so the missing lippie is a bit of a worry. I am going through Natio Moisturising Lip Balm frequently.

I went to Priceline and purchased a small hand mirror to avoid any embarrassing food-between the teeth moments...I think I will need to purchase a few more of them.

I just want to get all the nifty bits and bobs in Australia that US and European people get.... 8)

chrisk

Re: Greetings From Australia!

#2 Post by chrisk »

Hi SolarFeline and welcome to the forum
SolarFeline wrote:This is my first post here, and I normally post on http://www.dentalforum.com.au/forum/ind ... 51024c34b which is The Australian Dental Forum. chrisk posted on that forum that he had oral surgery and posted about this forum, so I am here to check this forum out!
But I'm female, 41 with 3 children. This forum has been a lifeline for me in the last 2+ years of my braces/surgery saga so hopefully it helps you too.

Chrisk

swellen

#3 Post by swellen »

I will continue to use Listerine Whitening Pre-Brush Rinse. I do wish that it was imported into our fair country in smaller quanties rather than 470 mls! Bit hard to chuck into my handbag! Goddess I miss Plax Pre-Brush Rinse! What happend to that?

I have noticed that my lips have dried out alot more, which makes re-applying lippie "interesting". As a office bunny, I need to look my best at all times, so the missing lippie is a bit of a worry. I am going through Natio Moisturising Lip Balm frequently.
Check out your local $2/Reject Shop. Often they sell tiny (I think they're about 20ml) bottles of Listerine. I bought one, chucked out the contents and put my own brand of mouthwash in. Perfect handbag size. Incidentally, also perfect size to hold shampoo and conditioner for a weekend away (once you wash them out thoroughly, of course).

Why aren't you wearing lipstick? When I had my braces put on I touched up my lippie before I even left the office! I'm out of braces now, but I certainly never went without lipstick when I had them. It took me a while to get the hang of putting it on, at first, but it's perfectly ok to wear it.

SolarFeline

#4 Post by SolarFeline »

swellen wrote:
I will continue to use Listerine Whitening Pre-Brush Rinse. I do wish that it was imported into our fair country in smaller quanties rather than 470 mls! Bit hard to chuck into my handbag! Goddess I miss Plax Pre-Brush Rinse! What happend to that?

Check out your local $2/Reject Shop. Often they sell tiny (I think they're about 20ml) bottles of Listerine. I bought one, chucked out the contents and put my own brand of mouthwash in. Perfect handbag size. Incidentally, also perfect size to hold shampoo and conditioner for a weekend away (once you wash them out thoroughly, of course).

Why aren't you wearing lipstick? When I had my braces put on I touched up my lippie before I even left the office! I'm out of braces now, but I certainly never went without lipstick when I had them. It took me a while to get the hang of putting it on, at first, but it's perfectly ok to wear it.
Thankyou for mentioning "The Reject/$2 shops". I will investigate further! :P

I am wearing lipstick actually. I like lip-wand type glosses, as they are super-easy to apply! 8)

viewtopic.php?t=6473&postdays=0&postord ... k&start=60

swellen

#5 Post by swellen »

I am wearing lipstick actually. I like lip-wand type glosses, as they are super-easy to apply!
Ah right, sorry. I read the "missing lippy" part and thought that meant you weren't wearing it for some reason.

lionfish

Re: Greetings From Australia!

#6 Post by lionfish »

HI solarfeline, nice to see you over here.
SolarFeline wrote:
that coffee and red wine would stain my elastics a bit. Bugger. The two things I need to function! Apart from chocolate. I was also told not to eat crunchy food (there goes the pork crackling!).

I went to Priceline and purchased a small hand mirror to avoid any embarrassing food-between the teeth moments...I think I will need to purchase a few more of them.
I can't live without my hand mirror!!

I'm glad you're managing chocolate. You can eat pork crackling, btw. Just cut it up small and chew carefully.

Hasn't this been the foulest weekend in Sydney?

David

#7 Post by David »

Move north ... I was in Brisbane Friday and it was 25 deg (C) and not a cloud in the sky! :D

I flew home to Auckland Friday night and we've had the same weather as Sydney all weekend. :cry:

FWIW I was in Sydney Thursday when the storms struck. :shock:

swellen

#8 Post by swellen »

Does foul mean rain? Has there been any rain in catchment areas? (I'm from Sydney... moved to Melbourne nearly 3 years ago.) Even Melbourne hasn't had much rain; we've just started on water restrictions again. Sigh.

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

swellen wrote:
Does foul mean rain? Has there been any rain in catchment areas? (I'm from Sydney... moved to Melbourne nearly 3 years ago.) Even Melbourne hasn't had much rain; we've just started on water restrictions again. Sigh.
Rain, rain and yes, more rain. I don't know how much is falling in the catchment.

Bell

#10 Post by Bell »

Hi SolarFeline ~ :lol:

Im from Sydney, great to see so many people on this forum from Oz :lol: :jump: :-88

Today was a lovely day in Sydney tops of 25 deg (c)... hope it continues :dance:
am a 35 year old who just had my braces fitted top and bottom on Monday 07 August. I am an acting student/temp, and I got my first extras gig recently where my braces did not impede the job!
Ive had my braces a couple of days now, happy to report no significant discomfort yet.... im uable to eat any solids .. just living off soups or some mash potato with gravy....
Im still adjusting to having these braces in my mouth... still feels weird.... keep thinking that i can just pop them out of my mouth....
have noticed that my lips have dried out alot more, which makes re-applying lippie "interesting". As a office bunny, I need to look my best at all times, so the missing lippie is a bit of a worry. I am going through Natio Moisturising Lip Balm frequently
Yes yes Yes!! im the same, the insides of my mouth near my lips are starting to get little sores however ive purchased some bonjella to sort that out, hopefully it works 8)

Best wishes on your journey... hope to see some pics soon :?: :D
~Damon 3 Braces top and bottom~
~Braced on 11th September 2006~