Newbie Here - Going to be taking the big plunge soon....!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

*boom!*

Newbie Here - Going to be taking the big plunge soon....!

#1 Post by *boom!* »

Well there's no time like the present for an introduction, huh? :D

I'm nearly 31. I have been married for 9 years. I have an almost five year old daughter. I have been selling on eBay for almost 6 years and am a stay-at-home mom. I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis almost 2 years ago so I have my own daily struggles (mostly with just being downright tired and some balance/walking issues). I give myself bi-daily injections that seem to have me in a disease holding pattern for the time being.

Why I'm here: Well, the dentist said that I have to go for braces or have many big problems down the road. I have a lot of crowding and one of my front teeth is almost completely hidden behind the others (not so pretty, that's for sure). I had my first ortho consult and he said I will have to have four teeth removed to make it all work. I have already had all four wisdom teeth out so I will be 8 teeth shy! Yikes. :)

I'm not sure when I'm going to start this process as I just don't have $4,800 in my couch cushions or under my matress and I don't think the ortho will go for payment in pop cans in 48,000,000 installments. ;) We're looking into my husband's medical reimbursement plan at work and hope to get underway soon (but am not sure I want to start this process before the holidays).

Anyhow...I'm here!

xtrememkovr

#2 Post by xtrememkovr »

Welcome boom! :)

I, too, am about to start this journey (have brackets and a few bands in place just waiting for the wires!) - and am looking at a 2 year sentence. I could not afford ortho at all - but found that there are places that will take payment plans. I'd definitely look into that and don't feel bad about asking. Many times dentists are willing to set people up on payment plans if they just ask. I only had to put down a few hundred dollars (vs a few grand) in order to start and will be making payments for ... the rest of my life probably (kidding) but at least it's doable and I still get the satisfaction of starting my treatment instead of waiting the 12389093487 years it would take for me to save up all the money needed. :)

Good luck with your journey - and also so glad to hear that you are fairing well with MS. I have had several relatives diagnosed with the disease - and it is comforting to see that there are treatment methods available that will make them much more comfortable living with the disease. Here's to a cure - and straighter teeth for us both! :)

X.

*boom!*

#3 Post by *boom!* »

Thanks for your responses!

Yes, the ortho will take payments but as of right now even checking for change in the couch hasn't found me the nearly $200 per month that I need but we will work it out, we always do. Unfortunately other than eBay, I can't work and am in the middle of the disability process. If that money comes through, there will be no question.

Just to clear up any misconceptions (especially for the person with family member with MS), the injections don't do anything to actually reverse or help the MS symptoms, just help to slow down the progression. I wish there was a magic cure and that I didn't have to sleep for 2 hours every afternoon and that I could run and chase my daughter. But...there isn't and it's hard because people can't really see the problems. Anyhow, I just wanted to clear that up.

:)