CHANGE MY MIND

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beckvan

CHANGE MY MIND

#1 Post by Beckvan »

I'm sitting here a little over 24 hours from being banded, & wondering what AM I THINKING!! I'm 52 years old, which is MORE unreal is that it is almost spot on 32 years ago I had the FIRST set on. Now get this, it was a 6 hour journey, I was hypnotized, had BANDS on all ALL my teeth plus headgrear. Look @ where that landed me he he he right back in the chair ughhh. :cry:
I know I know it will be worth it & I'll hopefully keep my teeth in my head & yes I am a big girl & I can turn around & say never mind, changed my mind oh poooo I'm not gonna change my mind, I'm gonna go for it!!! DAMN THE TORPEDOS!! or umm wires & that other stuff thats going in my mouth..
I hope the Ortho is in a good mood tomorrow-maybe I'd better take him & the girls a gift?? do you think that will help???

xtrememkovr

#2 Post by xtrememkovr »

LOL! Oh Becky! You're funny...

now then - go ahead and get it done. Knowing that I probably will have all the emotions you are having now in a day or two my own dang self. Yup. My brace day is on Friday - and even though I have all the lovely brackets and bands and spacers - I'm going to be getting the OFFICIAL wires at 10:00AM on Friday - so I know how you feel. Exciting, pensive, indecisive, excited and yup - even a bit scared. All will be fine - all will be better than fine. You know the drill. :)

On my first appointment I brought the staff all my sugar free chewies that I had that I knew I wouldn't be able to eat with the spacers and they were very appreciative - so yeah - I think gifts help! ;)

Let us know how it went and keep your wits about you. This too shall pass.

X.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. - Marianne Williamson.

totoro928

#3 Post by totoro928 »

Becky,
I know exactly how you feel!! The day after I got my wires put on I wanted to rip those things back off! :twisted: I would've went right back to my ortho hadn't it been for the 4 gaping holes in my mouth from the tooth extractions. Now I've had them for 1 week, it's not as bad except for my canker sores and my teeth are still sensitive. On a positive note, I lost 5 lbs. in one week! :D Hang in there, the worst is almost over!!!

Beckvan

WEIGHT LOSS HUH???

#4 Post by Beckvan »

WEIGTH LOSS YOU SAY!!! OK I'm in!! Because everything else I'm doing in the weight loss area AIN'T WORKING!! Hecks Becks I even started WORKING!!! @ the gym so now I never have time to work out
WHO KNEW!!!

erik

#5 Post by erik »

C'mon Beck, you can do it, don't psyc yourself out!

And yeah, the weight loss is another angle!! I also have lost over five pounds. I think it was not eating much and totally wiping out my snacking. I eat, brush and don't want to mess with anything until the next meal. I suspect the loss is tempory until your mouth settles down though...

I also went through the phase of wanting to rip them out on the second day, and wishing I had the Invisalign... But, I dealt with it, just like everyone else (including my two braced kids), and you will too!!!

It is not all that bad, just go about your normal activities and you will forget about it. I have a week under my belt and I have calmed down quite a bit. I think I am getting used to them!

Erik

OBG

#6 Post by OBG »

nothing ventured nothing gained.

I don't know if your realize this but there are many 50 somethings out there who read these threads and you are admired and demonstrate a great deal determination by taking the orthodontic journey for a second time.

I was in my late forties and was teaching part time at a community college when I was braced for a second time. I had a great deal of anxiety about what the young students would think of their "old" instructor in brackets and wires. Well needless to say the reaction was either positive or in most instances the students were so involved in their own 90210 lives that they didn't much notice my earth shaking change.

When I look back on the experience it is something I have never regreted and I know it was something I did for myself and that in reality the opinion of others probably is much overstated. My appearance is not perfect but I like that others don't draw their impressions of me based on crooked teeth but gives me an opportunity to talk and hopefully others will hear what I say and not be so focused on where the words came from.

Good luck tomorrow!

Tin Indian

#7 Post by Tin Indian »

:wink: Come-on Beck, I'm a 50ish person myself, and were all pullin for you!!
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08