Just got them last week

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

giggy18

Just got them last week

#1 Post by giggy18 »

Hi,
I got my braces last Monday November 20th. I got the clear plastic brackets. Currently only the bottom brackets have been fitted with archwire. I need to get one tooth out at the top, and then back to the Ortho office to fit the top wire. Not happening until 3 weeks from now.
I was surprised and very glad to find this forum. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions along the way and I can find a lot of answers from here. Thanks.

MarvinBrace

#2 Post by MarvinBrace »

Hi giggy18

I hope everything is OK with you. I just a have a question for you; :roll:
How was the first week with braces and how does these brackets feel?

Why I'm asking you these questions is because I'm going to get braces pretty soon and my choice of brackets is just like yours. :lol:

Hope to hear from you soon.

giggy18

#3 Post by giggy18 »

To be frank, I have to say they are a constant nuisance. My teeth don't hurt like some other people, but I definitely feel the brackets against inner mouth. The brackets on the back molars are metal, and they cut into my inner mouth. The front ones are clear plastic, so although they don't poke as much, I still need to put dental wax on them. Also my orthodontist told me repeatedly after I had them on to not eat anything hard or crunchy in the first 24 hours, or I'll break the brackets.

As for staining, I haven't noticed anything yet. I have read that they can stain if you eat/drink things like curry, coffee etc., so I have been very good about brushing my teeth rigth after meal. Brushing, flossing, and cleaning around the plastic brackets aren't different from around the metal ones.

Hope this helps. If anythign I haven't been very clear, please feel free to reply back. Thanks.

MarvinBrace

#4 Post by MarvinBrace »

As for staining, I haven't noticed anything yet. I have read that they can stain if you eat/drink things like curry, coffee etc.,
Hi again,

I just want to tell you that the brackets DO NOT stain. It's the ligatures (o-rings) that stain, especially the clear ligs. So don't worry about the brackets so much.

Thanks for your rapid reply and I hope we keep in touch.

giggy18

#5 Post by giggy18 »

Thank you thank you. I must have misunderstood what they meant by ligature. Actually I got most of the "braces" terms from the archwired website and from browsing this forum. cool year? :D

Hah! Thank you KK for the advice on hydration. It makes perfect sense. I'll make sure I drink lots of water and gaggle with salt water.

SecondTimer

#6 Post by SecondTimer »

I agree that ceramic brackets do not stain, but giggy mentioned plastic brackets. I'm wondering if it's true that plastic brackets cannot stain.