I'm such a wimp...

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fender

I'm such a wimp...

#1 Post by Fender »

Hello All,

I'm 23 years of age and just had my braces and 8 spacers put in this past Friday. I know I'm an adult, but it hurts.

This brief bio/introduction/rant will hopefully be a way for me to "cope." Oh, might I also add that I'm a hypocondriac and constant whiner. ;-)

First, I'm surprised and glad to see the other adults here. Let's all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya."

I guess I'm your classic story: My family couldn't afford braces.

I graduated from university in '05 and then received my teaching degree in '06. With my now somewhat stable income as a teacher (you know, Oprah-type money), I can finally afford braces. Hooray for me and you all, too.

The down side is that I now look like my students a bit more.

Nevertheless, I haven't experienced too much pain - only during flossing and brushing and when I foolishly attempt to eat solids. Fortunately, I supposedly only have to have them on for 9-12 months.

But, the biggest thing I have to whine about is the fact that I can't fully bite down anymore. From an earlier post (I used the "search" function and aren't you glad that I did), this apparently goes away after a while. I sure hope so because it'd be nice to be able to fully chew food again.

I guess that's all the whining I have for now. I'll probably post some more whining in the middle of November because that's when I'm slated to get my wisdom teeth pulled out.

Lastly, nice to meet you all and hopefully my sarcasm isn't misinterpreted.

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

Good luck and congratulations on your decision.

The important thing is this is a procedure (most people on this forum refer to it as a journey) that hopefully will make a positive improvement for the rest of your life.

As KK has said elsewhere:

Don't let braces change your daily life ...
Let this be a positive experience ...
Braces don't stop you from doing things, you do that ...
Attitude is everything ...

Finally take pictures before the braces, and pictures in the first two days with braces. When you get disgusted with the process, look at the progress shown in those pictures. Even after a couple of weeks, they’ll give you great encouragement.

Welcome to the board.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

vivi21

#3 Post by vivi21 »

congrats :-)o & welcome to the club of adults w/ braces :banana: