Just got mine - let the fun begin!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roadster1200xl

Just got mine - let the fun begin!

#1 Post by roadster1200xl »

Hi everyone. I'm in my 40's and just got braces for the first time. I've had crowded lower teeth and a bad bite as long as I can remember so I decided to see about getting it fixed. The ironic thing is that I now have the top wire in and won't get the bottom one for another month.

Turns out I have a bit of an underbite so the top wire will straighten that out and hopefully meet up with the bottom when they get straight. The doctor says it is borderline and may require a tooth removed or jaw surgery to get it to work out. :shock:

It's going to be hard not eating some of my favorite chewy foods but at least maybe this will get me to give up soft drinks. :lol:

So far the braces are pretty comfortable. The most difficult part was the spacers and bands. They bothered my cheek for a while but now I don't notice them. I might have to wear rubber bands which won't be fun.

Well, it's going to be an interesting two years. See you all around!

labyrinth

welcome to the club

#2 Post by labyrinth »

hi roadster
I'm 29 and I'm gettting my braces (for the 2nd time) 1st week of feb, so I'm a newbie here myself.

You're braces look fantastic, I hope mine look as good. I don't know what brand of brackets they'll use but the ones on the upper teeth will be clear. Last time I had the retro railroad track type..it was a long time ago!

Will you have clear or metal brackets on your lower teeth?

I'm dreading giving up my favourite food..mars bars! I never realised about the fizzy drinks, are the diet ones ok?

I've read a bit on this board about spacers, I'm not getting them, they're not putting the metal band around my back teeth. When I had braces in my teens I missed the appt to get the spacers put on, so I had to have that band shoved in without them. Owch. I'll never forget that pain, so I can sympathise with you there.

Good luck with the lower wire.

Cheers

roadster1200xl

#3 Post by roadster1200xl »

Thanks for the responses!

No, I don't know whether the lower brackets will be metal or clear. I didn't think to ask. :?

That's interesting about the "no no" list of foods. Mine also mentioned it was mainly for kids but there's that part about avoiding soda pop and drinks that contain sugar. Hmm, maybe I can still manage them. But it's probably worth a try to avoid them at first as I think I feel better without the sugar/caffeine. (still uncertain about that).

The thing I miss the most are the meal bars. Anybody eat those things with braces? I'm afraid to try as the ones I like are soft and chewy and I can see them really getting ahold of the wire.

I'm supposed to have the braces on for 18-24 months. IThe doctor should get a better idea after the first few months.

See you around the forum!

roadster1200xl

#4 Post by roadster1200xl »

I also have a mild class III bite (underbite), which is currently being corrected with class III elastics ... from upper first molar to lower canine. It's been five months and my bite has moved to where I now bite directly on top of my lowers and my arch has widened considerably. I'm hoping by the time I go back to my ortho in March, I'll be sporting the beginnings of a class II bite! :dance:
Thanks for your input and encouragement - I'll have to ask my orthodontist what type of bite I have. You know, get the technical details in case I'm asked. 8)

Sumendoza

Awesome!

#5 Post by Sumendoza »

Your braces look awesome! I had my spacers put in today and braces on Wed. Jan. 10th... Hope mine look as good as yours! It's been very good for me to read about everyone's experience and how is not as bad as people make me believe.
Best of luck for you... and me :thumbsup: