22 and getting braces...

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

e^jtheta

22 and getting braces...

#1 Post by e^jtheta »

Hey Everyone,

:-1

I'd like to introduce myself as I've been reading this site and forum for a few weeks, which greatly helped me finally decide to take the plunge and get braces. I'm 22 and I'll be getting braces for the first time on May 8th, 2007. When I was younger I never really had a need for braces. I used to have a gap right between my choppers, but it slowly went away all on its own, and that was the end of that. I was glad the problem had gone away on its own and that I never had to suffer through that change in appearance. Everyone pretty much dismissed the fact that I might ever need braces. However, as my top teeth moved into the right place, my bottom teeth slowly moved into each other. Now I have some crowding on my lower front teeth - and from my observations in the past couple of years, it just keeps getting worse. My dentist has also pointed out the crowding the past two years. Enter braces.

I got spacers exactly one week ago, and today was especially exciting for me since I noticed that the pain I was feeling went away. Chewing was something I had to do vewy, vewy slowly and with some difficulty, but after one week I realize that there is no pain. So given my brief experience with the pain, and after reading comments saying that spacers are the worst part of the treatment, I'm really looking forward to the braces. Bring it on!

I'm scheduled for a treatment of 18-24 months, and I'll be getting clear brackets on the top and metal on the bottom. I was hoping for all clear, but it seems like this is the standard way that he treats all his patients. The ortho says that he may have to extract 4 teeth, but he will see how my teeth progress and decided later if it is really necessary. I sure hope it doesn't come down to that since it would stretch the treatment time to the full 24 months. It would also involve a lot of pain, I'm sure.

Photo updates in due time. Thanks to all for reading and sharing.

e^jtheta

LaaLaa

#2 Post by LaaLaa »

Hi e^jtheta! Don't worry, you're not the only one getting braces in their twenties. I'm 21 and just got them on. Plus, I will have it on longer than you, if that makes you feel any better. :P

e^jtheta

hey hey!

#3 Post by e^jtheta »

Hi LaaLaa. I'm glad I found this site, otherwise I really would think I was the only person in their twenties with braces!

Karen... you mentioned a salt water rinse. What exactly does it do? Does that soothe your gums? I usually stay away from salt and so I find your tip puzzling.

jamie315

Welcome

#4 Post by jamie315 »

Welcome e^jtheta, great on deciding to take the plunge. Like you and laala, I am also in my early 20's, so were not alone. I have metal on the top and ceramic to, but you dont see your bottoms,so save the money. At the first week is always the hardest, just stay positive and think of the end result. I was also told 18-24 months as well, so Im praying for 18, but who knows. I saw you ask Karen about the salt water, I dont know what it does before braces, but if you do have to get extractions, it helps heal, and it really works I promise you. Well goodluck on B-day, what an exciting day it is I promise. Well I love that thier are some early twenty yearolds here, If you would ever wanna chat and swap stories, message me ok. Goodluck.

e^jtheta

salt rinses

#5 Post by e^jtheta »

Karen,

I will definitely keep in mind the salt rinses when I get my braces.

Thanks.

e^jtheta

bigger lips!

#6 Post by e^jtheta »

On another (old) thread someone mentioned that their lips looked a lot bigger after getting braces. I hope that doesn't become too noticeable since I already have BIG lips!!!

:::sigh:::

If there is one change in appearance that would make me self-conscious it would be even bigger lips. :(

e^jtheta

my teeth at the beginning

#7 Post by e^jtheta »

OK, so here is a photo of the way my teeth look before braces. Not an extreme case, but clearly I can benefit from having braces. The main issue is the crowding on the lower front teeth.

Braces in T - 9 days.