Braces installed today, 4-26-07

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Thomas

Braces installed today, 4-26-07

#1 Post by Thomas »

Hello, everyone,

Found this place today and it looks like a very nice, helpful group of people.

My name is Thomas, as you can guess from my screen name. I'm 21 years old and a junior in college. Anyway, I started the braces journey today with Dr. John Pobanz. The consultation (a week ago!) was very reassuring and everyone in the office is very professional, warm, and seem to love what they do; leaves me feeling right at home. Apparently a large number of their clients are adults, and I've seen a few the couple times I've been there. The kids also seem very excited going in and coming out, so that is a great sign.

The braces are Damon 3 with metal top and bottom. Also have a turbo behind my upper fronts to keep them from knocking the brackets off the bottom fronts, LOL. Treatment time is 24 months, and that seems to be the standard around here. When I get my first checkup in August they will likely be doing an extraction of a baby tooth (canine position) and then an exposure on the impacted adult tooth. Of course, somewhere in that time-frame my wisdom teeth will also be coming out, if they don't act up before then. Two are erupted and the others are on their way.

The looks aren't bad, despite the spacing in my upper teeth. I'm not so much concerned about the pain either, as I have ibuprofen or beer to help me cope.

What has really gotten me thus far is eating. I put it off as long as I could but realized that 24 months without sustenance wasn't going to work. I started with Ramen noodles and chewing was simply bizarre, so I just quit chewing. Then there was the ice cream that I let melt until it was soft. That went fine enough but I kept getting the sensation that my turbo was going to make a bid for freedom. I'm afraid to break a bracket if I somehow tried to eat something like a piece of steak, cut up of course.

I'm being a puss, I know, but eating gets easier, right?

This is going to drive me insane. :-+ Fortunately my mother had braces at age 42 so she'll be a good source of experience just a phone call away.

Thanks, for your time, and I apologize for being long-winded.

smallbutmighty

#2 Post by smallbutmighty »

Hello Thomas,
Nice to have you join us. Eating seems bizarre at first, but like everything else, it just takes practice and really wanting your favorites! I avoid noodles and I am into my 4th month. They are difficult to chew well and they tend to hang around and get stuck under and around everything in the mouth-- hiding out like little worms that show up when you least expect them. Potatoes are the easiest in nearly any form. Rice is good, but those little thngs can also hang around awhile. Rinse your mouth copiously after eating, and look in the mirror, too. Of course we all surrepticously swish with our meal time beverage while eating (water is best). And stay away from tough meat at first-- ground meat like burgers (no bun), meatballs, meatloaf etc. are the easiest until you toughen up a bit and it doesn't hurt as much to chew. But you really do need to chew to stimulate the circulation in the gums, so just gradually add variety to your menu.

Sounds like you have a good attitude, and that is what makes everything we do easier. It IS all about choosing to go with the flow or to make things harder through resistance. How great to have someone like your mom close to you so handy for advice and sharing stories. And I am sure you both will find plenty to laugh about, especially flossing! You will enjoy the crowd here, I come for daily chuckles and always good stories and advice. Best of luck! :D
ruth
It's all in how you see yourself!

Thomas

#3 Post by Thomas »

Thank you kindly for the response!

The Ramen presented a bit of a challenge, and it could be felt in the wire, but nothing got stuck. I bought a bunch of it but there's no question that my roommates will kill that stuff for me. Thinking oatmeal may be a better choice, or steel cut oats, I love those.

I know the results will be very worth the trouble, just need to get used to the darn things. All of my friends have been cool with it so that helps.

Thank you, again.

MissSMILEY

#4 Post by MissSMILEY »

OOOH, they have an instant wonton soup in a cup which I found just as satisfying as the instant noodles. Also, I found that some ground meat can be pretty brutal (maybe because I'm such a ninny with pain) so I tried bbq'd baby back ribs. As long as I could pull the meat off with a fork, I was able to chew it without killing myself and no meds! Congrats and being braced, and you might want to keep one of them inter-proximal brushes just to get any extra lil foods hiding out. I've become best friends with mine and so far it's gotten out more then what I thought was there.

Thomas

#5 Post by Thomas »

Thanks for the ideas!

The ortho gave me a huge supply kit including a couple of toothbrushes, one of those interproximal brushes for getting in behind the wire, a floss threader, and some other things. I also got a Waterpik powered flosser from them for $6. Probably going to get a Waterpik water jet as well.

skyhawk

#6 Post by skyhawk »

Hey Thomas, congratulations on starting your journey. I'm still gathering information on braces and oral surgery, but I'll probably be getting braced pretty soon here.

Whereabouts in Utah are you? I'm in SLC 5-6 times a year... when I get braced, we can eat dinner together and commiserate on how much it stinks to eat with braces! :wink:

Thomas

#7 Post by Thomas »

Hi, skyhawk,

I'm in Ogden and would definitely recommend Dr. Pobanz here in town. Very nice doc with great people working with him.

It's definitely an experience different from any I've ever had, but it will be worth the trouble, no matter what I tell myself along the way. :lol:

Surprisingly, I slept great last night. Went to my first class at 8 AM, and everyone I know either didn't say anything about the braces or said, "Good for you." That has completely relieved my anxiety of people seeing them.

Learning how to eat is my biggest issue. Made scrambled eggs for lunch today. Tried to chew them but because none of my teeth actually touch each other I accomplished nothing. The turbo stopping my overbite is likely my biggest obstacle in chewing at this point. It's beyond me how it can be done with no contact between the molars, or any teeth for that matter. :Questions:

Liquids and very soft foods are likely going to be my diet for the foreseeable future.

Oh, well, tomorrow I'm getting a water jet to make cleaning a breeze. Also need toothpaste without the whitening action.

skyhawk

#8 Post by skyhawk »

Ogden... home of the Prairie Schooner! Good steak. :D

PARR

#9 Post by PARR »

hey there! 29 and in metal since yesterday, so you got experience. um yeh that feeling that nothing touches right started for me about 4 hrs after the wire went on, but really nothing moves that fast and I found that carefully chewing produced satisfactory eating (even tho half was left in the brackets and wires...oh well a new diet eh?!)

But what you said is so true...people either don't notice or have such a "good for you" attitude...hard not to be positive about it.

my partner is a chef and also just got braces...soup, roasted vegies, small pasta like orzo, meatballs and meatloaf, braised or fricaseed chicken...oatmeal for breakfast...bananas...we ain't gonna starve.

good luck

mary.

Huge Congrats Thomas

#10 Post by mary. »

Great that you have your braces on! I'm sure that eating will get better and better, just need a bit of time to get used to it. I'll be going through the same in September.

One of my favorite foods is pureed soups (even if I don't need soft foods : ). There are some amazing recipes out there. Sometimes there's called Bisque. I would google bisque recipes or pureed soups and you'll probably find some great ideas. You might also want to google roasted tomato and red pepper soup - this stuff is to die for on the best of days, just throw a little feta on top. My other fave is sweet potato and pear pureed soup. There's a pureed potato and cheese soup that looks cool too. You just need a standard blender and large pot. These soups can be very filling, and you can use low sodium broth. They're tons better that the packaged stuff, and they'll totally impress the ladies : )

Best wishes with everything... keep us posted on how you're doing

Miss Smiley

#11 Post by Miss Smiley »

BUtternut Squash soup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

gunter8888

#12 Post by gunter8888 »

Thomas, congratulations on getting wired! Its also great to have another member in the Beehive State (I am in SLC).

Best of luck in your braces adventure!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces